A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Wireless network connection conundrum

Wireless network connection conundrum

Postby daledrums » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:36 am

New Asus G60VX laptop Win7 Home Premium 64 bit. Connected fine to my Linksys home network Christmas eve and yesterday. Son went to friend's home an connected there, back home no connection (adapter working fine per Win7). We were looking at firewall settings and I noted that the "Public" location or profile was activated.

My son remembered that when he connected at his pal's place, when prompted for the network's location he selected "Public". Other than the initial prompt for "Location" when you first connect to a network, I know of no way to switch back to "Home".

Now that switch to "Public" must make certain security "upgrade" selections in the bowels of Win7(?) as, again, now we can't connect here at home to our network. In fact system says there are no connections to connect to.

However,...when I click "Manage Wireless Networks" from "Network and Sharing Center", my wireless network is listed(!), so something is seeing it. But I am offered no way to connect to it (!) I'd sure appreciate any ideas.
PRO Level 2

Re: Wireless network connection conundrum

Postby shreader » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:33 am

The first thing I try when I have a problem in Windows 7 is the Troubleshooter in the Control Panel, did you try that yet?
Software Director

Postby daledrums » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:06 am

Yes, I did try diagnostics: Everything's fine per Win7.

Development: We disabled the on board adapter and installed a USB adapter, which saw our network and connected. I used the "Home" profile for it and confirmed the Firewall setting, then went on to reconnect to my desktop's Home Group (success).

I then disabled the USB and enabled the on board adapter, which didn't see any connections again. It also still retained the "Public" Firewall profile. Which is unchangeable in that I can't connect to a network with it -the only status under which one can change the "Location" or Firewall "profile".

Theory: I may be nuts, but I say the on board adapter will only connect to the friend's network as that's the only "Public" network it will see now (bug?), but once connected it will give my son the chance to change it's profile back to "Home" so it'll see all available networks like the USB does. He's on his way to try. More later.
PRO Level 2

Postby ar1stotle » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:24 am

Try disabling the built in adapter and re-enabling it. The "Public" firewall profile really just disables file sharing and things like that, so that when you connect at Starbucks or whatever people aren't able to see your shared files. So that should change based on what network you connect to and shouldn't have anything to do with not allowing you to connect to certain networks. Does the internal adapter actually see your home network (or any other ones for that matter?). Disabling/Enabling the adapter usually does the trick for me, but if not, you might want to check for a driver update.
PRO BRONZE

Return to General Windows Support