A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Trouble Editing/Deleting/Moving Files on Network Drive

Trouble Editing/Deleting/Moving Files on Network Drive

Postby mnemonicj » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:20 am

I have experienced this with Vista Business, Windows 7 Beta, RC1, and RTM. I have network drive on my server mapped to the Z: drive on my Windows PC and I have been running into issues where I can't move, edit, or delete folders and files.

For example, I was using Picasa to edit pictures on the mapped network drive and after I was finished, I closed Picasa and then used Windows Explorer to navigate to the folder the pictures were in. I tried to cut the folder and paste it into another folder, but each time I tried I received an error of "Cannot delete this folder, it is being used by another program". After more than a minute of trying, I closed both of the Windows Explorer windows, opened them back up, and copied the folder to another folder. I then was able to delete the folder in the original location without issue.

I then went to the folder in the new location and for more than 3 minutes tried to rename the folder, but I received the same error over and over again. Even when I closed the windows and opened them again, no dice. Finally after about 4 minutes I was finally able to rename the folder.

The first issue may have been Picasa not releasing the folder in a timely manner, but the second issue I believe may be related to the Indexing done by my server automatically when files are stored on it. I don't understand why it would be that the Indexer on my server would take charge of a file like that, especially on a file server.

I have also seen this issue before on network drives without explanation. Like when I want to delete a folder, but a hidden file is being used by another program so the folder it is in can't be deleted.

Any thoughts?
PRO Level 15

Re: Trouble Editing/Deleting/Moving Files on Network Drive

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:56 am

The only thing I can think of is to take full ownership and full permissions control of the folders (and child items) you need to work with. Not sure that will help if as you say the files are in use by your server indexer.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Re: Trouble Editing/Deleting/Moving Files on Network Drive

Postby mnemonicj » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:34 am

Graham, I am unsure if I have full ownership of the files, I have have complete security access using my account. My personal account is a domain admin and an admin and user of the computer I am using.
PRO Level 15

Return to General Windows Support