A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Trying to Install Xp on Vista Machine - F6 SATA Issues!

Trying to Install Xp on Vista Machine - F6 SATA Issues!

Postby piajartist » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:25 am

Well this is probably the 9,645st thread about this topic but mine seems to be that much more difficult and weird.

So like everyone else I just bought a new computer with Vista 64bit already installed and after months of giving it a chance Im disgusted with its RAM performance especially compared to XP, and since im a 3d graphics artist this is HUGE for me and no way around it.

More specifically I have a Dell XPS630
Dual Core 3ghz Intel Processors
4GB RAM
512MB SL 9800GT Nvidia GeForce Card
Windows Vista 64bit SP2

I just bought a fresh brand new copy of Windows XP 64bit with SP2 which wasnt too cheap, and a floppy drive to boot. I also shrink volumed 200 gigs off my original 500 gig HD so i could have a Dual boot setup. The letter path has been changed to C accordingly too, so I thought I was ready...

Now ive read many of the threads relating to this big problem and have followed the steps. Im having the issue that a lot of people seem to have when I try and install my XP 64bit OS, everything is fine UNTIL i get to the "Starting Windows" prompt after all the other drivers have loaded, then BLAM Blue screen of death.

I tried locating the SATA 'autodetect' feature in the BIOS, and my BIOS doesnt offer that capability of turning it off or on, just autodetects the drive's hard drive space (500GB). So no good there.

So then I downloaded the SATA driver for my hard drive from the Dell Driver page (at least the closet to my exact model, model number for mine wasnt listed on Dell's site for SATA drivers). Then I uploaded the driver to my Floppy External Drive, ready to install in during the Windows Driver setup process by hitting F6, right?...

Well to no avail, I cant even get a response when I hit F6 when it prompts me "If you want to install a third party Raid...." The keyboard works fine, all the other F keys work, especially since I have to hit F12 to get to boot options and F2 for BIOS.

I feel like I got a curse or a bum dell machine somehow, since I cant see anyone else with my little roadblock. Never had an issue with the machine at all (had it 6months and still have warranty)

If i cant get the F6 prompt to even act at all, is there anyway to get my SATA drivers onboard so I can get XP to install?

Im getting pretty peeved at windows after 13 years of solid backing from me...

Edited by Grav!ty - Financial inducement to help removed.
PRO New Member

Re: Trying to Install Xp on Vista Machine - F6 SATA Issues!

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:48 am

I think first try reformatting the XP partition again and remove any temp setup files from your Vista partition - you'll need to set folder options to view hidden files and folders and not to hide protected operating system files to be able to see them - they'll have strange file names with a mix of alpha and numerical.

If that doesn't work then try to slipstream your XP SATA drivers using nLite, a free program that helps you to do that.

Another thing you can try is to see if you have the option in your BIOS to change the drive controller to IDE mode or AHCI mode and then try to install XP.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to General Windows Support