A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Why Can't I Share External Hard Drives

Why Can't I Share External Hard Drives

Postby bbarry » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:57 am

I have two computers running Win 7 Ultimate - one is 64 bit and the other is 32 bit. I have (finally) successfully created a homegroup between the two, so now I can share libraries and printers.

I have external USB hard drives connected to each of the computers, but I can't seem to see and share these. For example, in addition to backing up computer #1 on it's own external drive, I wanted to create a second backup of computer #1 on the external drive connected to computer #2. But I can't see this external drive from computer #1.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong or incomplete? Thanks in advance.....
PRO Level 3

Re: Why Can't I Share External Hard Drives

Postby mnemonicj » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:09 am

When you right-click on the external drive on computer #2 and click properties, does the Share tab show up? I don't know home groups too well, but is there a Security tab also?

Just because you share a computer doesn't mean all of the drives are shared. You need to manually share each drive that you want to share on each computer before it can be seen by other computers.
PRO Level 15

Postby bbarry » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:21 pm

mnemonicj wrote:When you right-click on the external drive on computer #2 and click properties, does the Share tab show up? I don't know home groups too well, but is there a Security tab also?

Just because you share a computer doesn't mean all of the drives are shared. You need to manually share each drive that you want to share on each computer before it can be seen by other computers.

Yes, the Share tab showed up, so I did the Share/Permissions thing and it worked. I can now see the external drive from the other computer.

Thanks for your input.............
PRO Level 3

Postby mnemonicj » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:01 pm

No problem. Glad I could help.
PRO Level 15

Return to General Windows Support