A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Best AntiVirus on Windows 7?

Best AntiVirus on Windows 7?

Postby kanaloa » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:25 pm

None of my older anti-virus programs work on 7 and one of my family members is having a heck of a time with a virus or bug he's got in Windows 7. Any suggestions on what Anti-virus tool would be best for that installation?

I still use Vista so I have Symantec, but that didn't work on 7. I've been thinking about Norton, but wondered what others thought. Not sure how I feel about the annual fee, but if it'll protect the PC, maybe it's worth it.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Re: Best AntiVirus on Windows 7?

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:28 pm

If you want a freebie, get Avast! or Avira. I find Avira a bit irritating with it's constant reminder offer to upgrade to the paid for version. Otherwise if you want the very best, contact Jeff and I'm sure he can let you have NOD32 at a very good price.

Windows defender is also not bad these days.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby kanaloa » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:16 pm

Thanks
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby mnemonicj » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:45 am

I really liked Nod32 version 2.7 because I have a personal server (non-commercial, doesn't make me money) and Nod32 didn't charge the server tax like everyone else. All they provided was a file scanning and that was all I needed. Just to be cool, they also provided anyone that purchased more than one personal license a server version of the program that allowed you to have a central configuration and a central virus definition update location on the LAN.

A couple years ago Eset decided to be like everyone else and charge the server tax. Now, I have 4 personal licenses of Nod32 2.7 and I can't upgrade because versions 3 and 4 won't work on my server, nor will they provide me with the cool features that 2.7 did. I still have 2.7 (as long as Eset supports it - it seems to work on Server 2008), but I am dreading the day that I will have to give it up because my server OS no longer supports it, or Eset no longer supports it.

Graham, do you know someone at Eset?
PRO Level 15

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:00 am

I don't Joe. Try Jeff because he's a reseller. By the way, I don't like version 4.00 of NOD32, because it insists you update windows fully with a nag every day and there are some XP updates I do not want.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby ar1stotle » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:34 am

I run NOD32 in Win7 as well, but I use 4.0. I used to stick with 2.7 just because it was so much lighter but I play with fire and I'd hope that 4.0 offers better protection in some way or another, haha. But it's never let me down and works great in 7.
PRO BRONZE

Postby Chippychap » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:10 am

What a great post.
How many of us upgrade an O/S without taking into consideration whether older apps still cut the mustard?
I'm still using the free AVG and the free Malwarebytes. Ken the cheapo. :whistle
BOTH seem to be working fine in W/7.
VEGETARIAN = AN OLD ABORIGINE WORD MEANING BAD HUNTER.
PRO Level 7

Postby yeshuas » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:37 pm

I use Avast too, haven't had any trouble but then I really don't access or visit questionable web sites or open email from unknown people.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby Chippychap » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:06 pm

yeshuas wrote:I use Avast too, haven't had any trouble but then I really don't access or visit questionable web sites or open email from unknown people.

WHOA Daniel, do you mean we DO? :angel:
I NEVER open unknown sourced emails...... :whistle
VEGETARIAN = AN OLD ABORIGINE WORD MEANING BAD HUNTER.
PRO Level 7

Postby yeshuas » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:13 pm

Chippychap wrote:
yeshuas wrote:I use Avast too, haven't had any trouble but then I really don't access or visit questionable web sites or open email from unknown people.

WHOA Daniel, do you mean we DO? :angel:
I NEVER open unknown sourced emails...... :whistle

Sorry no implications intended at all, I wasn't saying anyone here visited questionalble sites, but I am sure we have visitors that may.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Next

Return to General Windows Support