A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Can't open any programs

Can't open any programs

Postby scrambledlife » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:25 am

from desktop or all programs. it says:This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.Please install or,if one is already installed,create an association in the Default Programs control panel.Restores to the point of after problem.Default didn't help.
PRO Level 3

Re: Can't open any programs

Postby shreader » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:13 pm

Try a system restore to a point before you noticed this problem.

Path: Start/All Programs/ Accessories/ System Tools/ System Restore
Software Director

Postby scrambledlife » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:01 pm

Since the user account was turned off the restore won't show before that.Can I change the incorrect command line (it says when I try to open them)?tx
PRO Level 3

Postby shreader » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:13 pm

If you have the Windows 7 DVD you can restart the PC w/ the DVD in the drive & do w restore that way also, choose "Repair your Computer".

If you have made a system repair disk that will work too.
Software Director

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:04 pm

You can also try going to the Program Files folder using Windows Explorer, then to the folder for each program, look for the exe that opens the program, right click it and select "send to desktop create shortcut" or similar words. That will create a new shortcut to the desktop. Test it before you delete the old one.

Once you have the working desktop folders, right click them one by one and copy the "Location", then go to the shortcut on the start menu, right click and paste the "location" you copied from the desktop to the "target" on the start menu shortcut. I'm just working from memory but you should be able to ID what I'm saying when you see it. Be sure to include the inverted quote commas (". ") in the "target" space.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby scrambledlife » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:32 pm

Grav!ty wrote:You can also try going to the Program Files folder using Windows Explorer, then to the folder for each program, look for the exe that opens the program, right click it and select "send to desktop create shortcut" or similar words. That will create a new shortcut to the desktop. Test it before you delete the old one.

Once you have the working desktop folders, right click them one by one and copy the "Location", then go to the shortcut on the start menu, right click and paste the "location" you copied from the desktop to the "target" on the start menu shortcut. I'm just working from memory but you should be able to ID what I'm saying when you see it. Be sure to include the inverted quote commas (". ") in the "target" space.

It did not work.Shortcut does not open,same.ty
PRO Level 3

Return to General Windows Support