A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Cannot Install Windows XP

Cannot Install Windows XP

Postby tWeaKmoD » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:18 pm

A month or so ago my HP Pavilion zt3000 starting blue screening on startup. I could not get it to load at all. I pulled the hard drive out and hooked it up to my desktop to salvage the files. There was a lot of errors on the drive so I ran chkdisk (which took hours to complete). After running this I got all the files off of the drive. I put the drive back in the laptop and formatted it. When XP setup is trying to copy the files it says cannot copy the file. iI I skip the file it can't copy the next file and so forth. I tried a different XP disk and that doesn't work either.

Now for the odd part. I installed OpenSuse 10.2 no problem. I also installed Vista Ultimate no problem. However, I do not want either of these on the laptop. Anyone know what could be going on?

Also - I ran memtest and everything was OK.

Thanks.

-Paul
PROfessional Member

Re: Cannot Install Windows XP

Postby EXTREMEoverclocker » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:37 pm

hey long time no see tweak!

have you given any thought to the XP disk being corrupt/bad? I was gonna say maybe you CD drive was bad since i had that problem once but since it installed the others just fine thats not it. How many time have you tried to install it?

.....How can i soar with eagles when im surrounded by turkeys.....
PRO Level 13

Postby tWeaKmoD » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:41 pm

EXTREMEoverclocker wrote:hey long time no see tweak!

have you given any thought to the XP disk being corrupt/bad? I was gonna say maybe you CD drive was bad since i had that problem once but since it installed the others just fine thats not it. How many time have you tried to install it?

I have tried two different XP CDs. There are no scratches on either disk. One disk is the recovery disc from the manufacturer (Home) and another is an XP disk I have (Professional).

I have tried installing about a dozen times. The next thing I want to do is run another test on the hard drive. I need to find a free app to do that.

[Edit] Update: I ran a hard drive diagnostic and the drive came back OK. I decided to give XP another shot and this time I did a complete NTSF reformat (usually I do the quick format). Either it is a coincidence or the complete format did the trick. Very strange... :confused
PROfessional Member

Postby EXTREMEoverclocker » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:19 pm

well i have always heard do the full format and never the quick. So i have always done the full ... not sure why but i stick with it since its never let me down haha

.....How can i soar with eagles when im surrounded by turkeys.....
PRO Level 13

Return to Hardware and Customizing