A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

BCD Registry Missing or Corrupt Error

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

BCD Registry Missing or Corrupt Error

Postby jbullard » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:07 pm

All,

Lately we have seen numerous individuals wanting to know more about this error and why they are receiving it when they can boot just fine to their systems. Although it is not a definite answer there are a couple of possibilities that it could be.

1. The Vista partition under an OS is not marked as active in Disk Manager
- This causes VistaBootPRO unable to find the file \system32\winload.exe

2. Your BCD Registry is actually corrupt
- I have helped many people see that although everything works, their actual BCD Registry is very messed up. Once you start fixing things you notice that booting to an OS may result in an error. Correcting these issues is really a case by case scenario.

- Here are the top two reasons for above
- No drive letter is configured in your BCD Registry for Vista
- Wrong drive letter configured in your BCD Registry for Vista

These are really the only two problems that can cause this error. We have looked at other possibilities but only these two will cause \system32\winload.exe not to be found.

However, if you have problems please feel free to post and we will help you correct the problem so that you will not continuously get this error.

I hope that it explains what this error really means. :yesnod:
VP - Software

Re: BCD Registry Missing or Corrupt Error

Postby iancairns01 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:24 pm

this is exactly the problem i'm having, i originally had windows vista and have since switched the xp, i didn't dual boot.I'm now having trouble going from xp to windows 7, hence why i purchased vistabootpro 3.3. i since been told my bcd is missing or corrupt? i've tried this 1. The Vista partition under an OS is not marked as active in Disk Manager
- This causes VistaBootPRO unable to find the file \system32\winload.exe. But it says my C:drive where i had vista is either already active or i can't activate it as when i right click on it i can't activate it? i'm not sure how to do this?

2. Your BCD Registry is actually corrupt
- I have helped many people see that although everything works, their actual BCD Registry is very messed up. Once you start fixing things you notice that booting to an OS may result in an error. Correcting these issues is really a case by case scenario.

- Here are the top two reasons for above
- No drive letter is configured in your BCD Registry for Vista
- Wrong drive letter configured in your BCD Registry for Vista .

Would you be able to help me?
PRO New Member

Postby Kennelmaster » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:17 am

I am running Win XP Pro/sp3. The OS and all applications are on a single SATA drive (C:\). All data files are stored on a separate SATA drive. I have installed a third SATA drive into which I plan to install Win 7 Pro (64). It is currently formatted but empty. I have installed DualBootPro1.0 on C:\, but not on the empty drive. When I attempt to open the program I get the error message (numerous times!) that "...the BCD Registry is either missing or corrupt..." and the program will not proceed. In a message on the forum there were instructions to search for the Registry, plus a location to find it (\system32\winload.exe 2). My system refused to search claiming it is not a valid file name.
At this point DBPro is pretty much worthless to me. How can I fix it? I still have the file I downloaded, should I uninstall the existing copy and re-install it?
Thank you in advance for any guidance.
PRO New Member

Postby jbullard » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:22 am

Kennelmaster,

From your description of the problem it sounds like you do not have Windows Vista or Windows 7 installed. If not, then you must install one of those operating systems before DualBootPRO will work. The new boot manager will only be installed by one of those two operating systems.
VP - Software

Postby microsyskl » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:56 am

Okay, so I just purchased this software hoping it would fix my problem - but no success. You mention I may have a corrupt registry and i cannot find anywhere how to check nor repair it. i thought the software would do that.

I have Win xp pro, Win 7, Win Vista ultimate and did a clone using Acronis. Lost my boot access - did a Vista repair and then was able to get to Vista and Win 7. not Xp - said it was corrupt. I ran chkdsk on drives and it found lots of file fragments - i had them autofixed.

I ran Vista Boot Pro 3.1 initially and ti recognized Vista and win 7. After i did repairs, i can no longer see any boot partitions with Vista boot pro so i bought the upgrade Dual Boot pro - it still acnnot find them !

Of course, so far.. I can still boot to Vista. Honestly, i'm afraid to reboot for fear of what i may experience!

i am getting frustrated and do not want to go much furhter until i get some direction from you - HELP!! thanks
PRO New Member

Postby jwileyr » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:57 am

I've just installed DualBootPro 1.0 on my Win7 64-bit machine and am stuck with this problem. When I fire up the software I get the Missing or Corrupt message in a dialog box 3 times, then 1 about not having a backup, then one more about Missing or Corrupt before I even get a program window. Once in it I can't use it to repair the drives. It reports success then immediately pops the same Missing or Corrupt dialog box.

My system drives consist of 3 drives total with 2 RAIDed into one via motherboard chipset. They appear as drive C: which is bootable. Total RAID size is 1TB.

The 3rd drive is a 750GB Serial ATA drive that is chopped into 3 partitions of which none have a drive letter assigned.
Lastly I have 2 DVDs of which one uses a SATA interface.

The 3rd hard drive with no drive letters consists of some raid data (overhead), and 2 partitions for Fedora 12. I installed it after Windows 7 was up and it put Grub down on the RAID drive and chainloads to Windows when it is selected to run. All of this boot control works fine now. I can get to Fedora and/or Win7. The problem is that I can't use BCDEdit to alter any of my boot configuration. When I try to run it, it complains about the boot config data store not being able to open because the file cannot be found.

Got any ideas how to find my way out of this mess?
PRO New Member

Postby jwileyr » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:51 pm

I've got some partial information that explains the problem but I still don't know how to fix it. As explained earlier I have 3 internal hard drives, 2 arrayed into my boot drive and a 3rd one that houses Fedora.

I found a 100MG "System Reserved" partition on the 3rd drive that was invisible and did not have a drive letter associated with it. Using some advice from another BB I assigned a drive letter to this 100MG partition and turned on display of hidden folders. Sure enough there is the BCDEdit data. If I invoke BCDEdit manually it will now display the data correctly. It looks like you were onto the answer about now being able to access it because of no drive letter. Now that I have found it how do I get your software to work with it? I don't see anything in it that allows me to point the editor at the BCD data.

This data is on what I have now labeled S:.
PRO New Member

Postby jbullard » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:01 pm

jwileyr,

Sorry we missed this post for the past few days. The Missing or Corrupt error message is actually being removed for the next release (coming soon). The release after that will incorporate a lower level drive access code to prevent future problems. Because Windows is not returning the drive letter, DBP cannot search the particular drive.

When opening DBP (aside from the prompts) are you presented with any type of boot information?
VP - Software

Postby hsartori » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:30 am

We have had the same errors. Additionally, upon reboot it took 6 minutes until we got back to the default O/S WinXPpro. After reading all we could find we decided that this is a beta product and could be dangerous in with our clients and have now removed it from all computers. I'm still interested but I've restricted it to the lab and will watch the forum and internet and magazine review with a great deal of interest. Ultimately it has every change of becoming a great products. /Howard
PRO New Member

Postby jwileyr » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:55 am

jbullard, you asked if I got any boot info once I did get into the software. No I don't. Each working area I try to access gives the same dialog box I outlined above and then I'm presented with the UI (push buttons, etc.) but they contain no data.

By the way, you also need to know that I was able to open bcdedit but it is even unaware of where its data is. I have to give it an option that tells it where to find its datafile. This is not the way it should work. I know other users have this problem with BCDedit and solving it for me and others would be another differentiator for your product. I hope you can solve it! Until then I too have to put this is the "no use to me" category and leave me frustrated I paid for a NOOP.
PRO New Member

Next

Return to PRO Software