A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Can no longer boot both OS

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Can no longer boot both OS

Postby Winterlight » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:23 pm

I have a Win7 RC1 and Vista 64 bit Home premium dual boot PC. The hard drive is partitioned with two primary partitions, Win7 is the first primary and is the active drive, and Vista is on the second primary. The rest of the drive consists of an extended partition with two logical drives. This has been dual booting just fine until last week.

In my attempt to clean up Win7 before upgrading to Win7 PRO I, without realizing it's importance, deleted the boot folder on the C drive. My plan was to install Win7 and then slowly make the migration from my Vista install. However upon rebooting I am no longer able to get into Vista. I get different errors depending on which fix I just tried, winload.exe not found, registry corrupt, this sort of thing. It was obvious to me that the boot loader had lost it's path but all attempts to repair it, including the use of DualBootPRO, failed.

Actually, the first thing I tried was to recover my one week old Acronis backup. I recovered both the Win 7 and Vista partitions as well as theMBR, but surprisingly, Vista still will not boot? This must have something to do with both Vista and Win7 claiming the C drive upon loading but I can't figure it out. I am out of ideas, any thoughts?

Thanks!
PRO New Member

Re: Can no longer boot both OS

Postby shreader » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:12 pm

I suppose youn could try a boot repair or system restore using your Vista DVD if you havent tried that yet.
Software Director

Re: Can no longer boot both OS

Postby Winterlight » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:34 pm

I did try that multiple times, as well as restoring boot loader, changing BCD path for vista.
PRO New Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems