A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Installing sata by using windows repair issues

Installing sata by using windows repair issues

Postby Azjo » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:58 pm

Hi

I have an asus a8v k8t800 pro, and the windows xp needs additional drivers for working with a SATA drive, and that should not be a problem.

However, i would like to clone the system from an IDE drive to a SATA drive, if not because of laziness, then efficiency ( :roleeyes ), but this is turning out to take longer than being efficient.
What i do is: i clone to the sata, start installing xp and press f6 and choose the proper drivers, and it finish copying all files, i choose to install in the right partition and it asks if i want to do a repair install and i choose that, and it restarts.

At some point it will suddenly ask for VIA drivers (for the sata drive), but here comes the problem; neither mouse or keyboard works.
edit: I have 2 mice connected through USB, and the keyboard is connected through ps/2.

What on earth do i do?
PRO Level 3

Re: Installing sata by using windows repair issues

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:03 am

I think you've going to have to install your SATA drivers before cloning, so that they're already present when the system boots to the installation on the SATA drive. You may have to manually install the SATA controllers from add new hardware.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Azjo » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:31 am

I did do that, but just to make sure i tried again, installing the sata driver by using device manager instead of setup.
But it hangs at the same spot when i start up normally.

It hangs where the blue background comes (darkblue top and bottom) and Windows logo.
PRO Level 3

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:20 pm

See if you can change the controllers to AHCI in your BIOS, instead of IDE or SATA.

If that doesn't work, you should try a repair install when setup selects your current install and asks if you want to clean install or repair that installation - after installing the F6 drivers at the beginning of setup when promped. You'll need to reactivate but your settings, drivers and programs will all be intact.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Azjo » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:37 am

It was exactly that kind of repair installation i was trying, but i cannot get further because neither keyboard or mouse will work.

Its an old asus a8v (via) board so there are no such options as sata, ide and ahci.

The main problem here is the keyboard and mouse working i believe.. any way to make it work?
PRO Level 3

Postby Azjo » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:59 pm

The problem with keyboard and mouse not working, is that a common issue when doing this?
Or, am i just very unlucky?
PRO Level 3

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:41 am

Nope it's not common at all and should have no relationship to boot issues at all. Try just connecting one keyboard and try a different USB port for it I think.

PROfessional Member

Return to General Windows Support