A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

New Server

Re: New Server

Postby yeshuas » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:34 pm

Newegg is quite possibly the best when it comes to customer service and price (most of the time their price is lower than ASI even when paying shipping)
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby mnemonicj » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:14 pm

Dang, just when I was praising Newegg for their speedy service...

I ordered a Server case and a Hot Swap Hard Drive Bay and today I received the Server case and THIS.

Newegg sent me a small server case, and it rocks! Especially since the item they sent me goes for $175 and the item I ordered goes for $120. Too bad I have already spent too much money on this server... well, at least as my wife is concerned. Even though the small server case is nice, especially with 4 SATA hotswap bays, I am sending it back to get my hotswap bay for my server. At least Newegg was nice enough to have it shipped back to them without charging me.

So, it looks like I will be waiting even longer to actually build my server. The new CPU is scheduled to be delivered by Thursday, but now without my hotswap bay I can't fit all of my hard drives. Maybe I will set up my server OS now and set up my storage RAID 5 later.
PRO Level 15

Postby mnemonicj » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:49 pm

I have my server mostly put together, but I was unable to use the IDE RAID card from my previous server because my new server's only PCI slot is crowded by cables at the bottom of the case. So, I was stuck with using two 500GB hard drives in a RAID 1 as my only physical drive with 4 partitions:
1. OS
2. Temporary space for weekly backups until I have a chance to offload the data to my external drive
3. WSUS files, Antivirus files, Log files, etc.
4. Data (documents, videos, music, program install files, etc.)
With these partitions, I only have about 60GB of my data partition left and that is cutting it a little too close for me. So, after squaring the financials, I decided to get three more 500GB hard drives and put them in a RAID 5 for an effective 1TB of storage space for data and that leaves my RAID 1 open for something else.

I thought about putting all five 500GB hard drives into a RAID 5 for an effective 2TB of storage space, but I think I like the idea of my OS writing to a separate drive than my data for increased speed and possibly increased drive longevity of the data drives since they won't be written to as often.

I think I am way over my original $700 budget for my new server, but I am very happy with what I was able to get for the price. After it's all said and done, I will post some pictures and maybe add up the bill.
PRO Level 15

Previous

Return to Hardware and Customizing