A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Multiple Partitions

Multiple Partitions

Postby Dicis » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi all,

Im running Windows 7 on my Acer Laptop and wanted to free up some space on my hard drive, I went into Disk Management and found multiple partitions,
there is only 2 I want, is there any way I can access the unwanted partions to see whats there and is there any need for them ?

Secondly the size of my windows folder is 8.8Gb and I only installed windows 3 days ago, is this resonable?

Thanks

Paul

PRO New Member

Re: Multiple Partitions

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:18 pm

You're going to need those two partitions (front and back) if you ever need to restore your laptop to the condition you got it in. I'd just leave them there or create a recovery/restore DVD first...check your documentation on how to do that. I don't think you'll be able to incorporate the front partition into your system drive though even if you delete it and then extend your W7 partition so in my opinion you may as well keep it. It's not a bad idea to create a restore DVD anyway in case your hard drive ever goes belly up.

The size of your Windows folder looks fine, I see my installations Windows folders vary in size from about 7.5 GB to 11 GB for X86 and X64.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby mnemonicj » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:48 pm

Ugh! I hate how much space the OEM takes up with the Recovery partitions. I usually make my own computers, but when I do order a computer or buy a laptop from Dell, HP, etc., I make sure the Windows disc comes with the computer. The trick from Dell is to order a "Small Business PC" rather than a "Home PC", plus Dell usually has some good deals on Small Office PCs.

If you didn't get the disc with the computer, go with Graham's recommendation and make recovery DVDs. They will have all of the crapware, but at least you will have a backup of your OS.
PRO Level 15

Postby Dicis » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:38 pm

Thanks for the reply guys ^*^
PRO New Member

Return to General Windows Support