A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Add entry using DualBootPro

Add entry using DualBootPro

Postby jfail » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:50 am

I am a very new user to DualBootPro, sorry for sounding dumb.

I am using a dual boot system using XP PRO and a recently installed Windows 7 Pro (32 bit) and 4 GB of memory.

I use the Microsoft Flight Simulator X a lot. I am finding (like others) that FSX runs out of memory pretty quickly on the Windows 7 32 bit side (I know, I should have gone with 64 bit!!).

I am told that adding an entry;

BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva 2560

Will improve this situation.

I had the same problem in XP. I added /3gb/userva2048 to the boot.ini file and it fixed the problem which was easy to do since I was not using a dual boot system back then.

ln the dual boot situation I don't have a clue and am very unsure how to add this using DualBootPro (or if it can be done at all using DualBootPro) or should I do it from the command prompt?

Any help and guidance is very appreciated.

John
PRO New Member

Re: Add entry using DualBootPro

Postby NT50 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:27 pm

The command prompt will work for sure. Remember what DualBootPro does is uses the Vista/Win7 bcdit commands all withing a GUI interface.
Now the person who wrote the program can tell you what it does and so on. I will drop him a PM and point him to this thread.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Re: Add entry using DualBootPro

Postby jbullard » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:18 am

John,

You will need to run this from the command prompt. Basically, what this command is doing is modifying the allocation of memory. Windows by default splits the memory into kernel and user mode memory. Each part is awarded 2GB (in your case). Increasing it to 3GB would allow you more memory but only if the game will actually take advantage of it. Here is what you would actually need to do.

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt (Right-click and select 'Run As Administrator')

Type in bcdedit -set increaseuserva 3270

Make sure you are in Windows 7 when you do this or are you looking to add it to the XP. If so, the the more likely entry would be {ntldr} which would then be modified to:

bcdedit -set {ntldr} increaseuserva 3270

Also, within DualBootPRO, under Advanced Settings, you may need to enable PAE (Physical Address Extension). This allows applications (or games) that have the ability to manage memory addresses past 3GB the ability to do so. :yesnod:

HTH,
Jason
VP - Software

Return to General Windows Support