A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Anti Virus for Fiber speeds

Anti Virus for Fiber speeds

Postby shreader » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:14 am

Today My ISP (Verizon) pitched me to use their AV software because I have their FiOS internet connection.

She said that w/ high speed internet I need a high speed AV software, that they offer for $5.99 a month ($8.99 a MO w/ their 25GB cloud backup included).

I tried to call her bluff but she was a tough one & wouldn't give in.

I googled but found nothing on Fiber/high speed AV,
has anyone ever heard of needing this, beyond having a AV/FW installed on ones PC.
Software Director

Re: Anti Virus for Fiber speeds

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:51 am

They're talking BS I think JD, for the simple reason that there are many protocols ones system uses, whose speeds far exceed the fastest of internet speeds. A virus can be downloaded disguised (obfuscated) and then deploy through one of those protocols and still be blocked by standard good anti-virus software.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby imnuts » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:38 am

Just a "scam" so to speak to try and get you to spend more money. Not sure what all it is as I don't have it, but I'm going to guess that it's a re-packaged version of Norton/Symantec, McAfee, or some other product.
PRO SUPREME

Postby shreader » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:31 pm

Thank you Graham & Mark for the input :yesnod:

I received a email last night sometime w/ a link to sign-up.
I have never liked a suite offering & that is what they are calling it "Verizon Internet Security Suite"

I'm definitely going to pass on this one.
Software Director

Postby imnuts » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:40 pm

I looked at Verizon's page for the service and based on the name of the package and the offerings of it, it leads me to think it's Norton/Symantec Internet Security. If that's what it is, I'd definitely avoid it as I tried it once and had tons of issues with the firewall blocking stuff that it shouldn't have, and when I was in college, there were a lot of people that would have issues with shared network folders that the school offered to students when it was installed as well. I don't know if it's gotten any better, but it was definitely bloatware as well. I'll stick with Microsoft Security Essentials.
PRO SUPREME

Postby NT50 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:00 pm

Scam Scam Scam

Even my ISP offers a suite. It is PcCillin on top of that.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Return to Security & Virus