A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

how do I remove boot choice Windows 7 boot menu

how do I remove boot choice Windows 7 boot menu

Postby BEB » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:36 pm

I just installed Windows 7 Professional on my Vista Ultimate. I have a dual boot set up with Ubuntu. Windows 7 is working fine, so is Ubuntu. My problem is that on start up I am given the choice of Windows 7 twice and then Ubuntu. I want to delete the 2nd Windows 7 choice(it is an error) so I just have one Windows 7 and one Ubuntu to choose from. I installed Windows 7 twice because problems with the first install. I need step by step instructions on backing up the bootloader configuration and step by step instructions on how to delete the 2nd Windows 7 choice on boot up. I purchased Dual Boot Pro after reading on a forum that someone fixed an error like mine in minutes using this program. I opened the program, but do not know where to start. I have looked it help, but still do not know how to proceed. I think I am in over my head and I really appreciate your help. Thanks.
PRO New Member

Re: how do I remove boot choice Windows 7 boot menu

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:45 pm

Go to the Operating Systems page in DualBootPRO and you should see a red entry for the "rogue" Windows 7 menu item. Click on it and then click the red delete button on the right. Reboot and test your boot menu :yesnod:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby BEB » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:00 pm

Thank you so much for answering. I went to the Operating Systems screen of DualBootPro. Two Windows 7 operating systems show up. One on my C drive and one on my D drive. Neither show up in red. It's the one on my D drive that is the error. It is not there, although that is where my first install put it. I realized this was not right and re-installed it in my C Drive and put my D drive back to the way it was before installation using an Image of it. So do I just delete that second instance of it in DualBootPro?

I really appreciate your help. Thanks.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:31 pm

It will show up in DBP in the same order it does on the boot menu, so delete the non functional one.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby BEB » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:28 am

Thanks! That did it.

BEB
PRO New Member

Return to General Windows Support