A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) Impressions

Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) Impressions

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:20 pm

I installed to a raw unformatted partition on my main system. Install took quite long because there was a lot of stuff downloaded, some unnecessary I think, like language packs I don't believe I need. Other than that install was easy and straight forward.

Graphics drivers that are made available still leave a lot to be desired for me. It wasn't possible to change my monitor refresh rate which is essential for my monitor and GPU (the one in my sig). I tried two proprietory drivers from NVIDIA, recommended by Ubuntu. Attempting to save the way I eventually got the GPU acceptably setup was impossible, so each time I booted to the system I had to redo the screen resolution.

When unsuccessful changing the default GRUB boot loader menu entry, so that it would point and boot to the Windows 7 bootloader, using the exact same procedure and commands as I did for 9.04, I zapped the installation, ran a fixmbr from the XP CD to remove GRUB and deleted the two partitions Ubuntu creates during installation. What's with a new beta GRUB version being used with a public release?

I have no intention of messing with Ubuntu again until a few basic things don't need one to do handstands to get working.

Otherwise I was quite impressed but didn't see any big change from Ubuntu 9.04. Maybe it takes a much more experienced Ubuntu or Linux hand to tell. Windows 7 and OS X needn't feel threatened at all in my opinion, not just yet anyway.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) Impressions

Postby augie » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:06 pm

I installed under VMWare Player 3.0 RC fom disc and it was quick of course. When I saw the Language packs d/l'ing, I was able to cancel that using the provided option. Other than that, the GPU drivers went in nicely and it's running my favourite program the same as it was before, neither faster nor slower.

All in all, it was an easy install that anyone could do. There's nothing earth shattering here, at least for me. It was an uneventful upgrade which is what I like. ^*^
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Return to Other Operating Systems