A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Is there a large difference between RTM and Retail?

Re: Is there a large difference between RTM and Retail?

Postby imnuts » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:46 pm

amoo_gandalf wrote:Yes Actually there is a Large difference between the RTM and RETAIL ...RTM is release to manufacturer or release Test manufacturer... is a test release to the manufacturers for test and debugging drivers... so you will experience Hanging long problems and incompatibility with the most of real time applications and devices such as satellite DVB cards and tv-capturing cards... high end graphic cards... and many internet security softwares ... even if you download and install Proper win7 drivers for that devices you will experience Fatal problems... i highly recommend not to install RTM release win7 ...i have personally tested all RTM versions of win 7 and all of them have critical bugs and problems... just wait 2-3 months from now on for a proper win7 retail or oem to be released...
let me say one of my experiences,,, for example with a CORE 2 EXTREME Qx9770 and 8 gigs of ram radeon 4890X2 2gb... the win7 RTM 7600 ultimate x64 hanged occasionally and periodically ... totally incompatible with kaspersky internet security 2010...long freezes
i just reverted back to my vista ultimate x64 and all problems suddenly gone!!!
same as x86 version
this RTM release is just for test,,, do not rely on it.
_A Professional system engineer and software developer

You do know that next to nothing is different between the RTM build and the Retail copies that are going on sale next week right? At the most, there may be a patch or two added to the retail images that are shipping initially, but I'd say that the first update to the retail image that sells in stores probably won't go out until sometime in Q2 2010. As for the RTM build being unstable, you may want to look into your system because several thousand people have been using the RTM build with no issues that I've seen for months now.
PRO SUPREME

Previous

Return to General Windows Support