A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows Home Server - Topics of Interest

Re: Windows Home Server - Topics of Interest

Postby shreader » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:12 pm

NT50 wrote:I sold my WHS ans went to automatic offsite backup.

That sure beats what I do when I take a portable hdd to work (& leave it there) w/ my important stuff on it.

-------------------------

Well the backup of the main rig went smooth BUT the test restore fail every time :-x
The darn restore app couldn't find the server, even tho the drivers were installed.
I tried also w/o the internet plugged in & ran a direct data wire connecting both PCs... both attempts failed.
So I tweaked the BIOS (disabled Smart Monitoring) & used a SATA CD/DVD drive... still no joy.

To check if the WHS updates & PP2 were causing the problem I tried a restore from the test rig & that worked fine... something funky here w/ the main rig I suspect.

I suspect its something w/ the ASUS MB as when I installed Windows 7 a few weeks ago, it took 10 minutes longer than on a weaker (CPU & RAM) PC. I'm was thinking a security setting is causing this but don't see anything else in the bios i can disable that isn't already.

I'll just keep on plugging, any suggestions are appreciated.
I have searched the MS WHS public software forum for tips.
Software Director

Postby shreader » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:58 pm

It appears that testing a restore wont be as easy as it use to be.

This looks like a last resort way to do a restore:

Disconnect the power plug from each PC, which you need to open to access the hard disk.
Detach the disk from the PC, which you want to restore.
Attach it to the second PC as a secondary drive (either by connecting to an internal port or with an USB to SATA/IDE connector).
Boot that PC up.
Restore the disk by running ClientRestoreWizard.exe, which can be found in Program Files\Windows Home Server on the client PC. Be carefull here with the selection of the target disk to not overwrite the wrong disk with the backup from the other PC!
After restore has been completed: Shut down the second PC and move the disk back to the original PC.
Software Director

Postby imnuts » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:57 am

If that's what you have to do to restore a disk, what's the point of having it as a backup method?
PRO SUPREME

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:29 am

shreader wrote:That sure beats what I do when I take a portable hdd to work (& leave it there) w/ my important stuff on it.

Still a pretty good method JD. It was a legal requirement that I do that and keep a backup off premises, with my business data when I was still in Cape Town. It's just a schlep carting it back and forth though and remembering to run the backup.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Previous

Return to General Windows Support