A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Keeping the toshiba recovery partition after win 7 install

Keeping the toshiba recovery partition after win 7 install

Postby leo27 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:49 am

I have a toshiba satellite A100 laptop that came with vista.
I'm going to be clean installing win 7 rtm on it and i want to know if the recovery partition will be left intact so that i can use the recovery media just in case somethings goes wrong.
PRO Level 4

Re: Keeping the toshiba recovering partition after win 7 install

Postby NT50 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:29 pm

1. Be sure to create your recovery media
2. Do NOT delete and/or format the recovery partition

If you do not delete it or format it, then it will be ok
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Re: Keeping the toshiba recovering partition after win 7 install

Postby phileysmiley » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:32 pm

I agree with Jeff. I also have a Toshiba that came with Vista and recently installed W7 RTM on it.

The first thing I did was use the Recovery Disc Wizard to create recovery media. All it takes is 2 DVDs and a few minutes.

Then just make sure you don't delete or format the recovery partition, but at least you'll have the discs in case something goes wrong.
Media Director

Re: Keeping the toshiba recovery partition after win 7 install

Postby leo27 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:02 pm

thanks for the help.

Do i need to backup anything else like the mbr such as what is talked about here http://forums.msiwind.net/windows-se7en ... 11595.html. I know its for a different laptop so it may not apply but what is talked about is that if the mbr is overwritten by win 7 you can't use the recovery media you need to restore the mbr from when vista was installed and then boot with the recovery media. Or am i just getting myself confused

Could you check phileysmiley wether your recovery media will still work with win 7 installed i mean will it boot with the media (don't actually reinstall vista :roleeyes).

And i take it the recovery media that came with the laptop (which is 1 dvd) is the same as what the disc wizard makes??
PRO Level 4

Postby NT50 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:14 pm

leo27 wrote:thanks for the help.

Do i need to backup anything else like the mbr such as what is talked about here http://forums.msiwind.net/windows-se7en ... 11595.html. I know its for a different laptop so it may not apply but what is talked about is that if the mbr is overwritten by win 7 you can't use the recovery media you need to restore the mbr from when vista was installed and then boot with the recovery media. Or am i just getting myself confused

Could you check phileysmiley wether your recovery media will still work with win 7 installed i mean will it boot with the media (don't actually reinstall vista :roleeyes).

And i take it the recovery media that came with the laptop (which is 1 dvd) is the same as what the disc wizard makes??

No backup of mbr needed.
You can check the media by doing a full restore
No the recover media is different then the 1 DVD with system.

The 1 DVD with the system is nothign more than an OEM install disk. You still need the applications also.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby phileysmiley » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:40 am

leo27 wrote:Could you check phileysmiley wether your recovery media will still work with win 7 installed i mean will it boot with the media (don't actually reinstall vista :roleeyes).

Yes, I actually had to do that last month. :yesnod:
Media Director

Postby leo27 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:13 am

as far as i can tell there is no program that will create the recovery media however the dvd that came with my laptop says toshiba recovery media dvd so i take it this is the same thing (really noob question)??
PRO Level 4

Postby phileysmiley » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:00 am

leo27 wrote:as far as i can tell there is no program that will create the recovery media however the dvd that came with my laptop says toshiba recovery media dvd so i take it this is the same thing (really noob question)??

Ahh so they actually gave you a disc? Yes, that is all you need then. I have used that as well. I had A Toshiba A105 for a few years and I recently got a newer one. The old one came with a disc but the new one didn't so I made my own.

That one, if it's the same one I had with the A105, will only allow you to completely restore the laptop to factory condition -- it has no repair option. But it is bootable and you can use it to restore back to when you bought it if your system is totally hosed.
Media Director

Postby leo27 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:20 am

awesome looks like i'll be good to go. btw did you notice an improvment in battery life with with win 7?
PRO Level 4

Postby phileysmiley » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:40 am

leo27 wrote:awesome looks like i'll be good to go. btw did you notice an improvment in battery life with with win 7?

Not really but I usually keep it plugged in.
Media Director

Return to General Windows Support