A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Installing Fedora 10 on a acer 4810t

Installing Fedora 10 on a acer 4810t

Postby nopzig » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:58 am

Hey everyone I am looking to dual boot my new laptop and I've read that this is the best flavor of linux to use. I am pretty new to the whole multi os thing and need some help.
What I'm running:
Acer 4810t
intel centrino dual core 1.40
4 gb ram
320 HD
Vista home premium 64 bit
1. what do I need to do this I have a program to make a new partition already what I need is to know what is the best boot selector to use I'm thinking of buying VistaBootPro will that work well?
2. just a brief explanation of the steps I should take to accomplish this
And anything you can think of that will help me.
Thanks in advance
JJ
PRO New Member

Re: Installing Fedora 10 on a acer 4810t

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:14 am

Hi nopzig. VistaBootPRO won't work for you with Linux at this stage. If you have the option to use GRUB with Fedora 10 then I think go with GRUB as your bootloader. It works well with Vista's bootloader and when installed after Vista will auto create a dual boot menu including the Vista OS.

See how-to-edit-grub-default-os-multi-booting-linux-and-windows-t109009.html for some ideas on how to edit the grub loader. I'm a total no0b to Linux and it didn't take me long to catch on to the commands that were needed.

Let us know how you get on :)

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby nopzig » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:27 am

Ok like I said I'm new at this please be patient and I'm grateful for any help.
I downloaded the .iso burn it and try to boot from it but no go I did notice that it has more iso's once you burn the first one to a disc am I supposed to burn those to other disks or some how get them all on the same disc.
again thanks for the help.
Nopzig
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:37 am

If you give me a link to the page you downloaded from and the name of the file you already downloaded, I'll be able to tell what you need there.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby nopzig » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:07 pm

I'm having trouble finding where I downloaded the link exatctly but I did find this place that has the same file is http://fedora.mirrors.tds.net/pub/fedor ... 86_64/iso/
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:46 pm

That looks a bit old and I'd suggest you look for a newer version if there is one. Anyway, THIS looks like the file you need to burn to a DVD...caution that's a direct download link.

Ah, here you go, this looks better: http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

I suggest you ignore Alpha 12 there, because that's still in development and not ready for release yet so probably full of bugs that need to be fixed.

I have no experience with Fedora at all, maybe one of the other guys here can help you with installation. I'm only familiar with Ubuntu which is very straight forward to install :)

Browse this forum for some ideas I think.

PROfessional Member

Return to Other Operating Systems