A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

@ Bill and weird WU count

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

@ Bill and weird WU count

Postby augie » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:25 pm

Something's not right man, you get 26 WU's for zero credit or 2 WU's for an 1888. I can't even begin to think of what's going on! :confused

Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Re: @ Bill and weird WU count

Postby BILLMCC66 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:19 am

Yep I have seen it Augie.
What the problem is I do not use that PC during the day it just sits there folding and it starts all by its self so all i do is turn it on in the morning and leave it.
I checked to see if all was well and it was stuck with the GPU folding on "results successfully sent" (or so i thought )
It was actually re-loading the client and then saying that the PC was unstable and shutting down, so it was in a circle of start /stop.

I am not sure what has happened because the VM is folding like a good un (under 12 min per %) and i have not changed the setup in any way, so it is work in progress.
If i find the problem i will let you know.
STILL LEARNING

LOGIC CAN GET YOU FROM A TO B BUT IMAGINATION CAN GET YOU ANYWHERE
PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:13 pm

Well, I do know that if one has an unstable machine it will try to reload the WU three times and then stops for 24hrs. I'll say it again, weird.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:39 pm

I am running windows 7 build 6100.
What i am thinking is i will re-install vista until i get my new copy of 7 (i ordered it at the half price offer)

What is actually happening is folding starts "trying to get work" it then progresses to "working 0/0" then "unstable core shutting down" and finally "results successfully sent " I think that is why i am getting so many blanks, it's in a circle of loading and sending results.
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Gawd, another re-install! :runaway: I've had enough them, so much so that I could re-install with my eyes closed! :lol: Cool that you took up the half off offer. :yesnod: ^*^

Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:04 pm

The re-install is not such a big deal as i am not using that PC for any thing but folding so i do not need a lot of applications and all the drivers are on a disk.
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:31 pm

Ya, when one has a second PC one can go do other things for 20 minutes. Gotta luv the KVM's for that! :yesnod: Same with apps, all my X2 has on is some protection, eVGA's Precision for OC'ing the GPU and the FAH client. It's my main rig that is giving me apoplectic fits! :lol:

Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:31 pm

Hopefully my points will register soon??
Both PCs have been producing all day (9 hours) and still i have nothing to show for it, really weird :confused
I still can not run them at night because she who must be obeyed says that the airplane in the living room is too loud. :P

I have a favor to ask Augie, would you post a run through of how to get Fahmon working as i have downloaded it 4 times and done the setup but it will not work for me :oops:

I am using VM on both PCs and the strange thing is that the GTX260 is performing better than the 295 but i am unable to check just how well i am doing other than when points are recorded.
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:15 pm

Well, no one got updated last run and the next run should be the normal blank one so 5 hrs. from now one should see results. If you got an 1888 pointer then those take quite a while, 11 hrs. on my 9800GT.

I'll give you some pointers on FaHMon when I get back. :yesnod:

Community Director

Postby augie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:40 pm

I prefer HFM but both work the same way to add a client, It's that HFM also shows you what was able to complete which in your case seems important to know as per this thread.

For local GPU, just go to where you installed it if it's a custom install. Like mine is C:\FAH\GPU 1\ or if you installed the GUI version then it resides in c:\users\your name\AppData\Roaming\FAH You will have to turn on hidden files for this.

As for your second machine, make sure you have shared everything and it'll look like this if it's custom \\AUGIE1-PC\Users\augie1\Downloads\Folding@home-Win32-GPU_Vista-623\ So when you're adding the client go to networks and follow the trail.

I've forgotten how to do a VM but I'll try to remember. It's usually around 2K PPD on a stock Q6600.

Community Director

Next

Return to Distributed Computing