A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Black screen with arrow after Win7 64bit install

Black screen with arrow after Win7 64bit install

Postby 2Brew » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:25 pm

TIA for any help, I've searched the forum for a solution as I've seen others have had the same problem. I think I've tried every solution suggested...so I thought I'd start a new thread perhaps to find my solution...so here is my saga:

I upgraded from Vista64 to Windows7 64bit final (not a clean install) on an HP M9300T desktop.
Everything worked fine, until the final restart. System will start, I get the colored thingees, I get the Welcome screen, when it should go to my desktop, I get only a black screen with the arrow in the middle. Even if I boot into safe mode, I still only get the black screen...

I've tried reinstalling x6....
I can hit CRTL+ALT+DEL and get to the task manager, and I can run task, programs go on-line etc.

Ran the Nvidia control applet, the monitor is set to native resolution @ 59hz. Don't know if that is causing a problem, I've changed it but it doesn't seem to stay set.

Other than the DVI output I've tried VGA and HDMI outputs to several different screens from the GS 9300 video card, no change.

I even browsed to the Nvidia site and installed their latest Windows 7 64bit WHQL drivers. I've disconnected everything except the keyboard, monitor and mouse, I've pulled every card out of it except the video card, no change??

HELP!
TTFN
Tim
PRO New Member

Re: Black screen with arrow after Win7 64bit install

Postby JabbaPapa » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:57 pm

Quite strange -- graphics card is working I guess, as you have the pointer. And a Vista-capable machine *should* be W7-capable...

How did you obtain your copy of W7 ? Is it an early release printed DVD, or did you download it from the net ?

It could be a bad download or a bad burn, they can produce some VERY strange results...
PRO VETERAN

Postby phileysmiley » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:15 pm

I had the same problem. After installing W7 all I had as a black screen with an arrow. Turned out I had a bad ISO.
Media Director

Postby augie » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:38 pm

Many times when burning an ISO it gets corrupted even though it verified, reduce the burn speed to the slowest. Good luck
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Return to General Windows Support