A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Can't boot main HDD after Paragon disk copy

Can't boot main HDD after Paragon disk copy

Postby gamez_girl » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:26 am

Uisng a acer 10inch netbook and Paragon Drive Backup 9.0 Professional Edition GAOTD . Wanted to upgrade the HDD from 160GB to 500B so used Paragon to copy the HDD using HDD raw coy, verification, and surface scan. Left the thing running overnight. Afterwards when I came back th e screeen was balck and justhad a blanking cursor atthe top left corner. ANy keys pressed made an error noise. What was this screen?

So I manually restareted the computer and the main HDD was no longer bottable. The second HDD would boot winXP but came up with a blue screen of error:
STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7CC0524, 0xC0000034, 0x0000000, 0x0000000)

Didn't create paragon's recovery cds since didn't have disk burner atthe time. Ho. Couldd I create these on another computer?

How could I boot from the main HDD and fix the seocnd HDD now?

Thanks in advance
PRO Level 2

Re: Can't boo main HDD after Paragon disk copy

Postby JabbaPapa » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:38 am

We have been experiencing some nightmares recently with Paragon software versions 9 and 10 -- I CANNOT recommend using any Paragon software versions later than 8.5. :no

The Paragon 9 and 10 versions alter the boot data, and attempt to install a Linux-based boot environment, which unfortunately appears not to work at all well.

We would advise you to use the second hard drive, and use a Windows XP CD to perform a repair install of XP. If repair install does not work, you may need to perform a clean install.

After you have XP up and running, you may need to DELETE the system partition on the dysfunctional drive, and create a new one using the native Windows tools. We would also advise you to copy data using Windows Explorer.

Good luck :)
PRO VETERAN

Re: Can't boot main HDD after Paragon disk copy

Postby gamez_girl » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:49 am

What system partition are you talkin about. Since it is a netbook the copy winXP I have are those recover disks acer asksyou to amke.
PRO Level 2

Postby JabbaPapa » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:55 am

If you have those recovery disks, then use them :yesnod:

Just make sure to use them with whichever hard drive does NOT contain essential data.
PRO VETERAN

Postby gamez_girl » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:09 am

How do I make sure I use them on the drive with the non-essential data. Supposedly the copy sould have worke . Would it be the HDD that is still on the netbook. The other HDD is in an external enclosure. Coudl you use those recovery disks onthe drive in the enclousure?
PRO Level 2

Postby gamez_girl » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:20 am

Acer eRecovery Management runs when I load the recovery disk and I think this just restores my computer to the factory default.
PRO Level 2

Postby JabbaPapa » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:31 am

gamez_girl wrote:Acer eRecovery Management runs when I load the recovery disk and I think this just restores my computer to the factory default.

Yes, I'm sorry but unless you can locate a proper XP setup CD for your computer, it will be hard to repair it any other way. :(
PRO VETERAN

Postby gamez_girl » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:05 pm

Would a repair actually work on the main HDD? I tried removing it from the netbook and putting it in the external enclosure and my desktop can't read the drive saying that it is corruppted.

The second HDD seemed to have completely copied but when I tried accessing my admin user account file I can't and the folder is said to be empty in account folder in Documents and Settings.

How could I recover my files now?
PRO Level 2

Postby gamez_girl » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:13 pm

Amazing, since I took out the main HDD to try in the enclosure I tried to insert my second HDD directly onto the netbook and it works. But the main HDD doesn't work. Why is that so?

What should I do with the remaining ~300GB that is in an unallocated partition?

Why is it that I couldn't access the my admin user account file on another computer when it was in an external enclosure? This would create a serious problem if this second HDD was to ever fail on me.

How do I fix the first HDD?
PRO Level 2

Postby JabbaPapa » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:56 pm

Oh good ^*^

The user account folders are often protected by the Operating System which I agree can be very silly on most single-user machines.

Regarding the hard drive that doesn't work, you will need to delete the partition using the native Windows tools in Start > My Computer > right-click > Manage > Disk management -- then create a new one.

I would personally use the 300GB unpartitioned for a new partition, then use some data recovery software to get your files out of the damaged HDD into this space. Otherwise just use it as a data partition, or use some *safe* partition management software to extend the current partition into that free space.

If you do not need to get any data out of the bad drive, just delete the partition and make a new one, I guess :question
PRO VETERAN

Next

Return to General Windows Support