A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

manually configuring ip address in fedora 7

manually configuring ip address in fedora 7

Postby DEVILSAN » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:51 pm

In windows i set up ip address , subnet mask , default gateway , Preferred DNS server and alternate DNS server , how do i do that in linux and where.. I have fedora 7 secondary OS that i sue for work...
PRO Level 13

Re: manually configuring ip address in fedora 7

Postby gries818 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:26 pm

I think it should be under the network icon on the top bar.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Postby DEVILSAN » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:42 pm

i know where icon is .. but i do not know how to set it up so that every time it has same ip address as with other machines connected to that ether net switch...
PRO Level 13

Postby imnuts » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:24 pm

I'm going to assume that Fedora 7's networking functions similarly to Gentoo's networking since they are both Linux, just different kernel/system tweaks applied. If so, this setup info may help.
PRO SUPREME

Postby gries818 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:50 pm

DEVILSAN wrote:i know where icon is .. but i do not know how to set it up so that every time it has same ip address as with other machines connected to that ether net switch...

Oh, I was under the impression you could configure static connections with the default GNOME manager. I haven't done this myself, explaining why I didn't know you couldn't do that :lol:

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Software Development

Postby imnuts » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:12 pm

gries818 wrote:
DEVILSAN wrote:i know where icon is .. but i do not know how to set it up so that every time it has same ip address as with other machines connected to that ether net switch...

Oh, I was under the impression you could configure static connections with the default GNOME manager. I haven't done this myself, explaining why I didn't know you couldn't do that :lol:

I think that you can configure a static IP with the GNOME network manager, but I think as soon as you restart, the settings are lost.
PRO SUPREME

Postby DEVILSAN » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:19 pm

See attachment, When i add static ip i am not able to access internet but i am able to access the files and folder on other computer ,and if i leave it Automatically DHCP to access assign IP i am able to access files and folder on network but not internet...
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (167.19 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
PRO Level 13

Postby gries818 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:18 am

DEVILSAN wrote:See attachment, When i add static ip i am not able to access internet but i am able to access the files and folder on other computer ,and if i leave it Automatically DHCP to access assign IP i am able to access files and folder on network but not internet...

I can't quite explain what could be going on because I don't really understand anything beyond the basics of networking, but I have found what has worked for me when I have been in those rare times I've need to get a static connection setup is to play with the netmask. This might not work for you though...

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Software Development

Postby imnuts » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:22 am

is your system getting it's DNS servers properly? You could assign them manually as well. If you don't know the DNS server(s) of your work/ISP, then you could either ask IT or use OpenDNS. OpenDNS server address are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
PRO SUPREME

Return to Other Operating Systems