A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Win7 RC to Win7 RTM

Win7 RC to Win7 RTM

Postby bigaldoc » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:57 pm

I am running a triple boot system of XP MCE, Vista Ultimate AND Windows 7 Release Candidate using Boot Pro as the boot manager.

My question concerns the discarding of the RC and replacing it with the "Gold" (RTM) version. My plan would be to just "wipe" the Win7 RC partition and then install the RTM version from its DVD - WITHOUT doing anything to Vista Boot Pro!

Is that the right way to do this, or do I need to tell Boot Pro NOT to include the RC in its triple boot and THEN wipe the partition? I've done a little searching here and it may be too early for the question as I didn't find anything. IF there is already a thread on this, please point me there with my apologies for an unnecessary post. TIA.

Big Al
PRO Level 2

Re: Win7 RC to Win7 RTM

Postby NT50 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:02 pm

I would boot to Vista or XP and then delete the entry to Win 7 manually. Boot to the Win 7 DVD and then format and install Win 7 on that partition.

That is just my personal preference.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:08 pm

I agree, sounds like you don't have anything to lose on your current W7 RC so that would be the easiest for sure. I'm doing this exact thing as soon as I can back up some files that I don't want to re-download. It'll be nice and clean with no extra boot options to confuse one, done this many times.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby bigaldoc » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:09 pm

Thanks for the replies folks! I was worried that if I told Boot Pro that Win7 is no longer there, do the install, then will I be able to add Win 7 BACK to the Boot Pro menu. I'll give it a try. Thanks...
PRO Level 2

Postby NT50 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:45 pm

bigaldoc wrote:Thanks for the replies folks! I was worried that if I told Boot Pro that Win7 is no longer there, do the install, then will I be able to add Win 7 BACK to the Boot Pro menu. I'll give it a try. Thanks...

If you remove the Win 7 RC boot and do a fresh install of Win 7 it shoudl detect everythign for you but if it does not you have VistaBootPro to add it back.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Return to General Windows Support