A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 7 Codec Pack

Windows 7 Codec Pack

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:47 am

I've found this codec pack by Shark007 to be good for every file format:

Download from MajorGeeks.com: Win7codecs 1.2.9 Final

Win7codecs is an audio and video codec package for Windows 7. The installer will automatically remove most other popular codec releases from your computer before installing this concise yet comprehensive package. You won't need to make any adjustments or tweaks to enjoy your media content immediately. Windows Media Player and Media Center will instantly recognize all your files as playable.

It does not contain a media player and it does not associate file-types. With this package installed you will be able to use any media player, limited only by the players' capabilities, to play all movies and video clips. Streaming video is supported in several formats in all popular web browsers. Users of the Win7codecs have the ability to choose what is installed and where to install it using the public redistributable. After installation you can select to remove specific portions without removing the entire package. You can also re-add the removed items at any time.

For .flv (flash video) files to play in Real Player I also had to install Flash Player for Internet Explorer.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Re: Windows 7 Codec Pack

Postby phileysmiley » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:55 am

Nice find! ^*^
Media Director

Postby imnuts » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:05 am

Although it is for a completely different discussion, many people in the digital media segment online are strongly against codec packs, as am I. The reason being is that there are several codecs that have cross-compatibility which are often installed by said codec packs. This multi-format support for different codecs causes several overlaps, and can quickly lead to incompatibilities and playback issues. One such thing would be divx/xvid files, which are supported by ffmpeg, xvid, divx, and likely a whole host of other codecs because of their popularity. Installing one may not fully override another and you'd be left with a mash-up of things that can lead to an overall poor experience. Personally, I'd only recommend installing codecs as needed and only installing them from the original source. So if you need to play quicktime files, install Quicktime from Apple, real codec files, install real media, etc. Overall, I've found that the major codecs are supported in Vista, the only one that isn't is x264 wrapped in the *.mkv container. The only other that isn't that I try to avoid is Quicktime for streaming media, but I doubt one really needs more than possibly 3-4 codecs installed to play 99.9% of the digital files out there.
PRO SUPREME

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:57 am

Yeah, I usually only install Flash, divx and get a DVD codec from my Nero install. I see that on installing Win7codecs 1.2.9 Final, they ask one to uninstall all previous codecs before proceeding :yesnod:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to General Windows Support