A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

connect different networks on same laptop and network HDD

connect different networks on same laptop and network HDD

Postby DEVILSAN » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:10 am

Hi

I want to get two things sorted out

One is i want to have an external hard drive that i can connect to network switch (like D-link DGS-1008D) and share data on the computers connected to that network switch. what is the best buy ...

Secondly, i have been using my laptop to connect wirelessly to internet, now i have also got another LAN plugged into a different network , when i connected LAN cable network completely stopped neither wifi nor the LAN worked, if i disable wifi LAN still doesnt work but Wifi works if i unplug my network cable...
i am not sure whats wrong .. does any one has any idea whats gone wrong ?
PRO Level 13

Re: connect different networks on same laptop and network HDD

Postby augie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:56 pm

Uhm, I'm not sure why you posted this in Distributed Computing man. It is a big network but not for your needs.;) More networking folks will see this and get you a quicker and better response now than in the DC forum.

It's specialized computing. ;) If you want to join the global effort on medical research then that would be great! :yesnod:
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby DEVILSAN » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:19 am

ok so move this thread to networking forum so i can get reply.. i cant find that forum and if you can move this thread rather than me creating a new duplicate thread...
PRO Level 13

Postby augie » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:41 am

DEVILSAN wrote:ok so move this thread to networking forum so i can get reply.. i cant find that forum and if you can move this thread rather than me creating a new duplicate thread...

Already done when I posted since you didn't notice.;)
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby DEVILSAN » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:54 am

just an update i figured out myself how to connect to two different networks simultaneously ..that was my second question.. but i want to know about Network drive that i can directly plug into network switch ..
PRO Level 13

Postby imnuts » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:09 am

Look for NAS devices if you want a storage drive that plugs into a router/switch. Buffalo makes them with significant amounts of storage as a dedicated network share. If you don't need that much space, or would like to pick your own hard drive, there are several enclosures that you can buy and get a drive or drives, depending on the model, and set it up yourself. The only issue with the latter route is that making your own has less support as far as product warranties or technical issues are concerned. I fell like there are some other external drives from Western Digital and the like that can be hooked up to a network as well, but I don't know off hand.
PRO SUPREME

Return to Hardware and Customizing