A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista basic and vista business dual boot one has to go

Vista basic and vista business dual boot one has to go

Postby yaboi » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:41 pm

I have a dual boot with Vista business and vista basic.
The lap top came with vista basic i added Business.
I don't need Vista basic any more and need to delete it to free up space for Vista business.
Do you know what i can do? I have a lot of important info and software on Vista business and need to access it daily so i cant risk any boot problems. And if i can't delete it how can i take space from it to use on Business
PRO New Member

Re: Vista basic and vista business dual boot one has to go

Postby NT50 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:00 pm

The one main problem you will have is you hard drive is now partitioned. I figure that you system drive/partition is the Vista that came prinstalled so you will not be able to format that partition.
I woudl use Acronis true image to backup the partition that has Vista Business on it to DVD. The use GParted to eliminate all partitions (you can leave th recovery partition if you like) and make one partition for your Vista Business. Then use Acronis and you Vista Business image disk to restore to that partition. Boot to the Vista Business DVD and do a startup repair.

OR

You can backup all your data to DVD and then use the Vista Business DVD to boot from, wipe all partitions and do a fresh install of Vista Business. Warning, if the Vista Business disk is an upgrade disk this will nto work.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Re: Vista basic and vista business dual boot one has to go

Postby JabbaPapa » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:26 pm

OR you can just upgrade your Vista Basic installation to Business ;)
PRO VETERAN

Return to General Windows Support