A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Welcome to our new Folding@Home Home

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

Re: Welcome to our new Folding@Home Home

Postby imnuts » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:30 pm

I still need to setup the F@H client in my new Windows 7 install. I don't think I have time to do it before leaving for work, possibly tonight when I get home or tomorrow I should be back folding on my main system hopefully.
PRO SUPREME

Postby imnuts » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:06 am

Not trying to double post, but I got the SMP client installed and running this afternoon. So far, it seems to be working well. I know that since I upgraded from the previous version to the current version (6.23 to 6.24?) I was running at ~900-950ppd, but FAHMon is currently showing me at ~1150ppd, which is about what I was at prior to the update, so hopefully production stays there. I'll also check on my other system that was running FAH, though only a single instance, as I think it may have stopped at some working at some point.
PRO SUPREME

Postby BILLMCC66 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:28 am

I got my second PC back up and running :yahoo:

A really strange thing has happened, I set it up using my GTX 250 card just in case anything went wrong and i could save my 260 but believe it or not the thing is performing better than the 260 or the 295 :shocked:
In the Ubuntu folding it is completing each % in under 12 minutes and the 295 is taking 13 min.
The 250 is working like this as long as i dont try and do anything else with graphics needed because then it starts to stutter so i will leave it alone for the time being.

I really want to re case that PC (i bought a new one for the main PC) but as it is running soooo well i will leave it be.
I am having some trouble connecting to Stanford this morning so i think the server is down??
STILL LEARNING

LOGIC CAN GET YOU FROM A TO B BUT IMAGINATION CAN GET YOU ANYWHERE
PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:47 pm

Sorry Bill, I missed that post! :embarrassed: The thing that bugs me is that your GTX 295 gets beat by a 250. You are running separate GPU clients right, as it's a dual card?

Anyways, loaded up W7 RTM last night but forgot to change the power options again! :bashhead Go and sleep on me when your processor is running something intense! :no I got that sorted today and got my first VM/SMP going too. Today's production will be down but tomorrow's should be just fine. :yesnod:

As soon as I get my donated DDR RAM, I'll be installing SMP there too in my second rig. I'm debating whether to install a "nix" on the X2 or not, as as soon as W7 RC expires, it's back to XP. I'm worried about the GTX260. Well, as they say, no guts no glory eh? :lol:

Oh, the guy didn't want to sell his 2X512MB DDR RAM, he just wants a postcard from here in return! :shocked: It's for his son(9) who already has a map of the US on his wall and Americans are sending their state cards. I guess his mom will have to paint a world map on the other walls now. :yesnod: ^*^
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:15 am

I think what the problem is Augie, the 295 is running on an Intel board that is throttling it and the 260 is on an Asrock that has proved to be the better board by a long way.(never again Intel board)

I have another board here but it is i7 and i dont have the CPU yet so i went into the PC store today and asked what board they had in 775 socket (none in stock) but later in the week he has some new Foxconn boards coming in so i put my name on one.

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/m ... -us0000394

When i am ready to build the i7 rig i will sell one of the others to a lunatic gamer who is always here trying to get his Dell to go faster ( my suggestion is throw it as hard as you can, that's fast)

So it is work in progress :whistle
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:17 am

Geez man, we were 'that close' to hitting the 250th place out of 6000 teams. :( From the looks of things, we have been at our plateau for the last couple of months. Man, I would have never dreamed this possible. Good job all! ^*^

Scotty, we need more power before we get sucked into the black hole of oblivion!

Aye Cap'n, I canna give ya more, the lass will blow herself up unless we canna get more etched silicon crystals into the power grid! :) :silly:

I just received a GB of DDR RAM from Stubby for my X2 machine for free, so I should be able to do an extra VM now but of course a lot slower than the quad. Going to OC the 3800+ to the hilt now that it's cooler outside! :devil :pc Fold on all! ^*^
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:38 am

For just 5 folders we are doing great (see big is not always beautiful)

I am going to upgrade my mobo in the next few days so may lose some points but hopefully it will not be for long.

It looks as though we will lose 4 places before we start to climb again so lets get folding.

New mobo

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/Product/M ... -us0000398
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:17 pm

That's a nice card Bill, I know Grav!ty likes his Foxconn, lot's of features but well priced.

Now, I'm thinking of going to the darkside with my AMD X2 machine. The main thing I don't like to do is that I will have to flash the BIOS of my GTX260 to get max points under Linux. VMWare didn't seem possible on my X2 but I'm sure it would still choke the CPU again if I ran it, even though I installed another gig of RAM yesterday.

I'm going to now go and research this to the hilt, take notes and ask questions over at the *nix forums etc. I do not want to brick my 260! :pc :no

Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:01 pm

The more i play with this new Mobo the more i like it

Full marks to Foxconn they have built in an overclock system that you can work from Desktop without going into Bios,it's fantastic!!!
Attachments
2009-09-28_155352.gif
2009-09-28_155352.gif (115.58 KiB) Viewed 3541 times
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:37 pm

That's great Bill, I have something like that with my ASUS quad board but if I go over %5 the thing locks up. :-?

A bit of an update on my Linux install on my second machine, the X2:

The Windows SMP running under WINE is chugging along at 40hrs./WU which is fine for that CPU. Of course I'll be OC'ing it once this *nix project is squared away. The thing that got my attention was getting my GTX260-216 folding as there are no clients available and one has to run that under WINE too, besides having to jump through Linux loops to get it running.

The first WU through was a 353 pointer taking 1:34 hours which is faster than the same OC'd board that was running under W7, OK, some 6 minutes faster than normal but still... I can't wait to OC it!! :devil

I found a great tutorial spelling everything out, I'll post it up later as I'm whapped out ATM. :silly: Some food and a nap will take care of all the :bashhead I did today. Next project is compiling FahMon! :runaway:

Community Director

PreviousNext

Return to Distributed Computing