A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 7 RTM good/bad experiences

Re: Windows 7 RTM good/bad experiences

Postby JabbaPapa » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:31 am

imnuts wrote:I got the stocks gadget back.

Windows Vista gadgets work in Windows 7, so you can see a whole page of Stocks gadgets to choose from, HERE :

:download: Stocks gadgets

and there is a whole gallery of various gadgets, currently 3456 of them, HERE :

:download: Vista and W7 gadgets

Apparently there are some W7 gadgets that will be unusable in Vista, but the old Vista ones should normally run in W7.
PRO VETERAN

Postby imnuts » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:38 pm

I looked at the stocks gadgets that were in the gallery and didn't like any of them, hence my reasoning for getting the one back that was included with the beta/RC builds.
PRO SUPREME

Postby NT50 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:03 pm

I've been surfing around and it seems that Windows 7 Ultimate will not include or be able to download any extras.
Now tell me why I have the Ultimate version on my computer?
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:54 am

NT50 wrote:I've been surfing around and it seems that Windows 7 Ultimate will not include or be able to download any extras.
Now tell me why I have the Ultimate version on my computer?

XP Mode, Language Packs, security features --- The basic concept of Ultimate remains true, it's basically the Enterprise version combined with the Media Center version for home users :yesnod:

... Whether you actually need all that or not is *eminently* debatable :yesnod: :lol: :whistle :uhhh :wave:
PRO VETERAN

Postby imnuts » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:11 am

Not like the Ultimate Extras from Vista were all that valuable anyway. The only things I did like were the available movie backgrounds for the desktop and the Poker extra.
PRO SUPREME

Postby NT50 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:34 am

Yea

I want my holdem poker back.
That was my time waster when working on computers and waiting for downloads etc etc etc
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:54 am

I'm getting periodic freezes of Firefox and Windows Explorer. The entire system freezes. Also, generally Windows 7 (both Ultimate and Professional) feel sluggish and syrupy, not at all like the crispness and responsiveness I'm used to in Windows XP.

Another thing that keeps on happening and somehow I think it's due to some or other incompatibility with the Vista boot system files and those of Windows 7, is that on reboot to go from one OS to another I get an error message on the screen which says bootmgr is corrupt. I hard switch off, leave it off for a minute or so and then can start up normally :-?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:24 am

Grav!ty wrote:I'm getting periodic freezes of Firefox and Windows Explorer. The entire system freezes. Also, generally Windows 7 (both Ultimate and Professional) feel sluggish and syrupy, not at all like the crispness and responsiveness I'm used to in Windows XP.

That's strange -- is this the same test rig you have been using for some time, and with which you had some problems using Vista ?

Which GPU do you have installed there, and what type and amount of RAM ?
PRO VETERAN

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:19 am

JabbaPapa wrote:
Grav!ty wrote:I'm getting periodic freezes of Firefox and Windows Explorer. The entire system freezes. Also, generally Windows 7 (both Ultimate and Professional) feel sluggish and syrupy, not at all like the crispness and responsiveness I'm used to in Windows XP.

That's strange -- is this the same test rig you have been using for some time, and with which you had some problems using Vista ?

Which GPU do you have installed there, and what type and amount of RAM ?

Thanks for the suggestions. It's the system in my signature. Somehow I can't recall ever having problems with Vista on any of my current three systems, which in addition to the one in my signature are a Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of DDR2 RAM and an AMD X2 4200+ with 2 GB of DDR2 RAM. Unfortunately I can't install a desktop operating system on the latter two systems because I've got them doing something else that doesn't give the leeway to change their OS structure.

I've got no graphics issues, RAM issues, heat issues, hard drive issues or PSU issues on the system, so I can count hardware issues out. It's not exactly a top of the range system anymore, being a little aged at almost exactly two years old, but I've quite happily been running both Vista Ultimate X64 and X86 virtually from Vistas release date. Neither XP X86 or X64 has ever given me problems like this either. I zapped XP X64 and Vista Ultimate X86 to make space for Windows 7 Ultimate and 7 Professional both X86.

I guess I could take Vista off the system entirely to see if that makes any difference but it shouldn't other than it possibly accounting for the bootmgr error message. Properties of the file bootmgr don't tell me whether it's from Vista X64 or from one of the Windows 7 installs. I understand though that installing Windows 7 should replace all the boot system files. If that is the case then it should be Vista X64 giving me boot problems. Besides, the boot issue doesn't explain the freezing and the sluggishness.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:51 pm

Hmmm -- the GPU is an older one, but shouldn't really be a problem. But have you downloaded a current driver from nVidia ?

And how large is your W7 partition ?
PRO VETERAN

PreviousNext

Return to General Windows Support