A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 7 Professional Install and Testing

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:04 am

I understand that Windows 7 Ultimate is not going to be generally available and that Windows 7 Professional is going to be the "top of the range" for consumers, so I figured I'd stick with it.

Installation was standard with 8 minutes to the first restart and then 4 minutes to the next restart. All in all installation took 15 minutes to get to the desktop after inserting User name and selecting Home network. I didn't put the product key in because this installation will be the first of many, so I have 30 days to check out this edition.

I was pleasantly surprised that all drivers appeared to be installed during setup, but on checking update history I saw that my motherboards ACPI System Utility had the drivers auto downloaded and installed. Not bad.

The boxed nVidia drivers suck and I got this error message while downloading updated drivers from directly from nVidia:

Computer Management is playing up but I hope that it will come right after a restart. I get this error when going to right click Computer>Manage:

Here's a screenie of my Performance rating before chipset and graphics drivers are installed:

PerfRate1.png
PerfRate1.png (196.78 KiB) Viewed 2237 times

This is the default Desktop before any real customization other than moving the taskbar to the top where I like it:

Desktop.png
Desktop.png (405.32 KiB) Viewed 2237 times

I installed this to a multi-boot system (specs in my signature) and pre-formatted the separate hard drive it's installed on from Windows XP with all drives connected.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Re: Windows 7 Professional Install and Testing

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:34 pm

I figured the cause of the Management Console snap-in not working from right click Computer>Manage. I delete some registry entries to prevent the short cut arrows on the desktop, and unlike in Vista and XP this screws with the file associations of Computer Management. I managed to roll back to a restore point before I'd made those registry changes and all is as it should be again. Just have to live those shortcut arrows :roleeyes

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Ztrl » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:40 pm

Haha, funny. With that new taskbar I'm surprised you have any icons.
All these years women have had slogans to confuse us. When a woman says "no" she means no. When a man says "yes" it means he pobably hasn't understood the question.

Intel Atom N270
Intel 945 Integrated Chipset
2GB RAM
160GB HD
Windows 7 Ultimate
PRO Level 3

Postby gries818 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:00 pm

Ztrl wrote:Haha, funny. With that new taskbar I'm surprised you have any icons.

Old habits die hard lol.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Postby Ztrl » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:08 pm

This is true...
All these years women have had slogans to confuse us. When a woman says "no" she means no. When a man says "yes" it means he pobably hasn't understood the question.

Intel Atom N270
2GB RAM
160GB HD
Windows 7 Ultimate
PRO Level 3

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:36 pm

Ztrl wrote:Haha, funny. With that new taskbar I'm surprised you have any icons.

By default there is no quick launch bar in Windows 7. Going to the start menu each time you want something is an option for those with a fetish for a clean desktop I guess :whistle

Here's my XP desktop as it's been for years. Not much clutter there in my opinion.

PROfessional Member

Postby Ztrl » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:45 pm

The whole toolbar is a quick launch bar...

You just pin the apps you want to the taskbar and they open in one click...

http://ztrl.deviantart.com/art/Windows- ... -132538993

Intel Atom N270
2GB RAM
160GB HD
Windows 7 Ultimate
PRO Level 3

Postby JabbaPapa » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:31 pm

I mainly have some document files that I want to be easily accessible on my own desktop, everything else is in start menu or taskbar ;)
PRO VETERAN

Return to General Windows Support