A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 7 RTM good/bad experiences

Re: Windows 7 RTM good/bad experiences

Postby shreader » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:16 pm

After jumping through some Creative audio driver hoops, I got that working using Vista SP2 Compatibility for my Win7 x86 Ultimate :lol:

I did a small mod to the .ISO all the RTM editions became visible in the Select OS screen

Edit: Started a Starter thread & moved the screenys there.
Software Director

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:08 pm

shreader wrote:I did a small mod to the .ISO all the RTM editions became visible in the Select OS screen

See now that is a mod I and no doubt many others would like to make ^*^ I noticed the iso image sizes of Professional and Ultimate are the same and suspected this was the case.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Ztrl » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:40 am

Good find sir. How do we do this? D=
All these years women have had slogans to confuse us. When a woman says "no" she means no. When a man says "yes" it means he pobably hasn't understood the question.

Intel Atom N270
Intel 945 Integrated Chipset
2GB RAM
160GB HD
Windows 7 Ultimate
PRO Level 3

Postby augie » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:35 am

Grav!ty wrote:One thing I do NOT like about Windows 7 is the reach through to the BIOS CPU power management settings that it has. My preference on a DESKTOP system, is to have the CPU running at full power and not for it to be throttled by constant changes of the voltage. There is no way to avoid this with Windows 7 as it by default sets CPU power management to mess with both the fan speed and the CPU throttling and there is no way to avoid that. These are the only two available options and they both suck and are nonsensical in my opinion:

ImageImage

If you change the power options to high performance then CPU min/max is set to %100. :yesnod:

EDIT: Oops, I'm still on RC. :embarrassed:

Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:07 pm

Yeah in their wisdom they seem to have zapped a few options in RTM.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby shreader » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:40 pm

Ztrl wrote:Good find sir. How do we do this? D=

Thanks Ztrl

One basically has to remove the ei.cfg file from the .iso/ sources folder.

We'll get something up on doing this soon.
Software Director

Postby imnuts » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:46 pm

I have the ability to change the min/max processor speed :eek: I'm running on the High Performance setting and have my system setup so that it should be ready and running all the time.
Attachments
poweroptions.PNG
poweroptions.PNG (42.23 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
PRO SUPREME

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:08 pm

imnuts wrote:I have the ability to change the min/max processor speed :eek: I'm running on the High Performance setting and have my system setup so that it should be ready and running all the time.

Gosh that's weird! I wonder if it's because I've got mine all disabled in the BIOS? I'll check it out to see what happens if I set those all to default in BIOS. Still, it's that Active cooling setting that bugs me.

PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:27 pm

Grav!ty wrote:
imnuts wrote:I have the ability to change the min/max processor speed :eek: I'm running on the High Performance setting and have my system setup so that it should be ready and running all the time.

Gosh that's weird! I wonder if it's because I've got mine all disabled in the BIOS? I'll check it out to see what happens if I set those all to default in BIOS. Still, it's that Active cooling setting that bugs me.

Yep those appear when one Enables C1E Support, Enables TM Function (thermal management) and Enables Intel SpeedStep Technology. I set mine back to disabling those :)

I'm not quite sure what Vanderpool Technology is all about but I've always had that set to enabled. I'll check that out in more detail...wikipedia here I come :whistle EDIT: Vanderpool Technology is Intel's Virtualization Technology. Knew there was a reason I left it enabled.

powerman.png
powerman.png (46.15 KiB) Viewed 2043 times

PROfessional Member

Postby imnuts » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:21 am

I got the stocks gadget back. Checked the newsgroups to see if anyone else was annoyed as well (there were) and if anyone found a solution (they did). So, for anyone else that would like to have the stocks gadget, you'll need a few things. There is a file and folder that you will need from the RC. I extracted the install.wim file from the install image, then extracted the two things i needed from that using 7-zip. You'll need the wlsrvc.dll file and the Stocks.Gadget folder. Close all open gadgets on the desktop and then copy the dll file to C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\ to replace the existing dll with the same name, and move the directory to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\. After doing both of those things, you should now be able to use the Stocks gadget.
PRO SUPREME

PreviousNext

Return to General Windows Support