A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 7 RTM good/bad experiences

Re: Windows 7 RTM good/bad experiences

Postby NT50 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:01 pm

So far with Win 7 Ultimate, Office 2007: my Outlook crashed one time. I think it was due to the indexing or something. It seems to be running smooth now.
I also installed Call Of Duty 4 and I'm actually getting ok performance out of it. I tweaked the game to get my 250 FPS with no problems. I did have a hard time finding the files to be tweaked due to Windows 7 (like Vista) stores them in a different location that is hidden. The only thing I'm lacking atm is my networked multi-function HP printer. The laser printer connected straight to the computer was installed when I installed the OS.

As for dual boot setup, I made sure that I used another program to partition my hard drive the way I wanted it (I don't like Win7 small system partition). Installed the our BootPro software, copied three files over, added the entry and now I have a dual boot with XP64 JUST in case I run into issues with Win7.

Pretty much everything went seemless. I did experience SLOW downloads tho even tho I have 25 meg (sometimes 55meg) download speed.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:47 pm

NT50 wrote:Pretty much everything went seemless. I did experience SLOW downloads tho even tho I have 25 meg (sometimes 55meg) download speed.

I had issues with ethernet during the course of the beta, now fixed with new drivers, and I hope same will prove true for you as well soon ...
PRO VETERAN

Postby imnuts » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:52 am

Haven't really had an W7 issues since installing it a few hours ago. I feel like I got most stuff up to date and reinstalled. Installation was fast, though I didn't time it to well as I went off and did stuff and it was basically ready 20 minutes later. Haven't had any compatibility issues yet either. Still need to get my printer setup. Restarting was also fast as I just did that due to some installations I had, probably the fastest I've ever seen windows restart. The rest of the OS seems much more snappy than the RCs or Betas did as well. Never had XP installed on this system, but it is almost as fast as my steamlined Gentoo install that I used to have.

EDIT: nVidia also has W7 drivers available the way it looks, though I'm not sure if they are actually new or just now listed as W7 drivers since it's been released.
PRO SUPREME

Postby shreader » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:59 am

I just finished another x64 install but on a test rig (Core 2 Duo) & that install blazed through the beginning & reached the desktop in 19 minutes (from after the loading files @ the first colored window).

The boot menu when I started was a mess w/ only 2- instances if XP showing up.
After the completion the boot menu is back in great shape w/o any tweaking besides resetting the boot menu time to 4 seconds.

AFAICT everything is working, no yellow ! in the device mgr.

Switched out the login screen was a cinch, no complaints.
Software Director

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:27 pm

So far I've installed both Windows 7 Professional X86 and Windows 7 Ultimate X86 on a multi-boot system without any major issues.

The one problem I had was in removing the shortcut arrows from desktop icons with some registry editing. The procedure worked good in XP and Vista but in Windows 7 it caused the management console snap-in for Computer Management to not function from right click Computer>Manage. Rolling back to a restore point sorted that out as I hadn't made a backup of the registry keys I messed with. Here's the error message I got:

One thing I do NOT like about Windows 7 is the reach through to the BIOS CPU power management settings that it has. My preference on a DESKTOP system, is to have the CPU running at full power and not for it to be throttled by constant changes of the voltage. There is no way to avoid this with Windows 7 as it by default sets CPU power management to mess with both the fan speed and the CPU throttling and there is no way to avoid that. These are the only two available options and they both suck and are nonsensical in my opinion:

ImageImage

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby imnuts » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:59 pm

My one annoyance so far is that they took out the Stocks gadget from RTM. Does anyone still have an x64 install of the RC that they could get the gadget from and send it to me?
PRO SUPREME

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:08 pm

imnuts wrote:My one annoyance so far is that they took out the Stocks gadget from RTM. Does anyone still have an x64 install of the RC that they could get the gadget from and send it to me?

I've got Vista Ultimate 64 installed if that will work. Is it in there?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:35 pm

Grav!ty wrote:One thing I do NOT like about Windows 7 is the reach through to the BIOS CPU power management settings that it has. My preference on a DESKTOP system, is to have the CPU running at full power and not for it to be throttled by constant changes of the voltage. There is no way to avoid this with Windows 7 as it by default sets CPU power management to mess with both the fan speed and the CPU throttling and there is no way to avoid that. These are the only two available options and they both suck and are nonsensical in my opinion:

I would imagine that this is to satisfy greenhouse gases emissions legal requirements...
PRO VETERAN

Postby NT50 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:59 pm

The only thing I have noticed on my system is when I boot to COD4 it will go into the menu just fine. When I select a server it will allow me to select my firearm options and then after that it blacks outs and looses connection. It will eventually come back and work but I think this has something to do with the graphic drivers and not Windows 7 itself but then aain it looses connection.
So far that is the only issue other than Outlook crashing one time but I think that was due to the initial indexing and me having well over 6000 emails.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:09 pm

W7 can occasionally freeze when its supposed to be working while I'm asleep or out of the house, which I would guess is a drivers issue ... (I hope)
PRO VETERAN

PreviousNext

Return to General Windows Support