A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Media Player cannot acquire media rights for Napster [FIXED]

Media Player cannot acquire media rights for Napster [FIXED]

Postby phileysmiley » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:55 pm

I have spent all afternoon trying to play some Napster-downloaded tracks (wma) on Windows Media Player and am at my wit's end.

WMP: 11.0.6002.18005
Napster: 4.6.2.4

I have the "Napster Lite" subscription which is free and allows you to play Napster-downloaded tracks forever on a computer.

All the Napster tracks were successfully imported into WMP. When I try to play them I get a dialog box "Downloading media usage rights" but it never completes.

Napster support is ridiculously useless. I have waded through pages and pages of FAQ. I have tried this:

http://napsterus.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/n ... p_faqid=26

Then this:

http://napsterus.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/n ... _topview=1

Then installed the "DRM reset" utility they link to on that page.

Nothing changes. All I get is "Downloading media usage rights..." and it never completes. I cannot play any of these songs. They are wma's since that's what Napster sold at the time so I cannot play them with iTunes.

Does anyone have any clue? Attempts to actually contact them puts me in an endless loop back to the FAQ pages.

---------------------------
BTW I navigated through page after page of WMP Help. I finally got to "DRM FAQ." When I found the "Troubleshoot Problems" link, I clicked to "trouble downloading media usage rights." When I clicked that, it took me back to "See DRM FAQ."

I have also searched through Microsoft support but all they have are fixes based on what error message you receive, and I am not getting any error message.

I also sent a support request to Napster.

=====================
EDIT: I am able to play these WMA files in iTunes with no problem. ^*^ I just can't play the Windows Media files in Windows Media Player. :P
Media Director

Re: Media Player cannot acquire media rights for Napster [FIXED]

Postby phileysmiley » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:36 pm

Napster support actually got back top me fairly quickly. Here was their explanation/fix:
Thanks for contacting Napster Customer Support.

We were able to locate a Napster Light account with 12 purchased tracks listed on it under the membername "xxxx" and the email address "xxxx@xxxx.com". If these are the purchased tracks you are referring to and you copied them to this PC from the computer they were originally downloaded to then you will need to delete and redownload these tracks. To do this please follow the steps listed below:

1.) Launch the Napster software and sign in.
2.) Click the All Tracks icon under My Library then locate the affected tracks.
3.) Right-click each affected WMA track and select Delete Track(s) to delete the file(s) from your PC.
4.) From the My Account menu, select Account Status & Billing-->Track Purchase History.
5.) Locate the problem tracks you just deleted then click the Download button to get a new copy.

NOTE: After May 20, 2008, Napster's entire catalog of music available for purchase was transitioned from the protected WMA format to MP3. Tracks purchased in the MP3 format are not protected so we recommended that you make a backup of your purchases as they cannot be downloaded from Napster more than once.

Thanks for using Napster!

It worked!!! ^*^ ^*^ ^*^
Media Director

Return to General Tech Chat