A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

dvd players problems

dvd players problems

Postby scrambledlife » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:34 am

both my dvd players have a yellow mark on them and I update them it says they r up to date ,but they don't recognize the disk.And I am running vista x64 sp2 I can't use recovery disk (it is home premium).tx
PRO Level 3

Re: dvd players problems

Postby JabbaPapa » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:38 am

DVD drives simply use the bog-standard CD-ROM drivers, and are often guaranteed to have no specific drivers issues, so that yellow warnings on DVD drives are usually symptomatic of some other hardware-related issue (although DVD drives that are simply failing can present the same symptoms).

I would perform some basic hardware checks -- ensure that all IDE ribbons/SATA cables are correctly installed, and run some hardware diagnostic tools.

PSU might be failing though, and the DVD drives may be getting an unstable electricity supply.

If the DVD drives are SATA you can try uninstalling/reinstalling your SATA driver (although it may be difficult to do this if your system partition is also on a SATA device).

You can pretty much definitively determine if this is a hardware or software issue, by inserting any bootable DVD into your DVD drives, and rebooting -- having ensured that the DVD drives have boot priority over the hard drives -- although the more extensive hardware test would be to install for example W7 RC onto a separate partition, to see if the same problems occur there. But it's more likely to be bad hardware than Vista :eek:

It is possible, but NOT guaranteed, that clean installing Vista might solve this, but in my experience problems of this type are solved by hardware not software fixes.

If you are very unlucky, the issue will be a broken hardware controller on your motherboard :(

It's more likely PSU than anything else -- but that's just a likelihood, not a certainty...
PRO VETERAN

Postby scrambledlife » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:21 pm

Thank you for infos.Now to get red of the yellow marks and to boot from dvd player I went to run\regedit\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318},Looked for(or similar to this it was three o'clock in the morning lol) lower level or upper level or lower level.bak or upper level.bak And I found lower level and deleted that and reboot.Well my friend all yellow marks r gone.Hopefully it will be useful for others.Thanks again
PRO Level 3

Postby JabbaPapa » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:08 pm

Oh! Gratz, that's a nice one !! ^*^

So yeh, it *was* a drivers problem as you thought, and VERY good job on locating such a non-intrusive workaround !!! :notworthy :fro:
PRO VETERAN

Postby scrambledlife » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:20 pm

Thank you.
PRO Level 3

Return to General Windows Support