A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

dual booting windows 7 and win xp pro from separate disks

dual booting windows 7 and win xp pro from separate disks

Postby anilkhaneja » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:13 pm

Hello,

I am trying desperately to dual boot windows 7 and win xp pro from two different drives but I am not able to do so. Even with the help of vistabootpro nothing is happening. CAn somebody suggest a solution. Presently I have to change boot disk priority order in order to boot into windows 7 or win xp pro.
Last edited by Grav!ty on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topics merged.
PRO New Member

dual booting windows 7 and win xp pro from different disks

Postby anilkhaneja » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:17 pm

I have installed windows xp pro and windows 7 RC1 on two different hard drives. But on the boot screen I only see one of them. To boot into the other I have to change hard disk boot priority order. Even with the software vistabootpro which I purchased a couple of days ago, no solution to my problem. Kindly help.
PRO New Member

Re: dual booting windows 7 and win xp pro from separate disks

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:32 pm

Boot into Windows 7, and go to Disk Management with both drives attached (right click Computer>Manage>Disk Management), then check to see if you have a hidden partition there with no drive letter allocated. Allocate a drive letter by right clicking the drive symbol at the top of the page and select "Change drive letter" then follow the steps and just use the first drive letter that is offered. Do NOT format when that is suggested.

Now boot to Windows XP and from Windows XP follow the steps in this guide. Although the guide is for Vista, the process is exactly the same: unplugged-xp-drive-for-vista-setup-can-t-dual-boot-to-xp-t84455.html

Let us know how you go or have any issues. By the way, read through this thread for some info on what you are up against, particularly Section 1. under "Prepare your system" as I suspect that's why you are unable to get your dual boot working: install-windows-xp-in-dual-boot-with-pre-installed-windows-7-t104890.html

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby anilkhaneja » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:46 am

Thank you so much.

There was no issue with drive letters. But the link you gave helped me immensely. I was able to sort out the problem within 2 minutes. As advised I copied the boot folder and bootmgr file from windows 7 directory to xp directory and then with the help of vistabootpro I was able to solve the problem.

I was thinking that I had wasted the money on the application but now I feel happy and think that the vistabootpro application is worth every penny spent.

Thank you again.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:35 pm

Glad you got it fixed anilkhaneja and thanks for letting us know :)

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to General Windows Support