A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Want to buy a new Mother Board for my old Computer

Want to buy a new Mother Board for my old Computer

Postby mido.813 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:58 am

I'm going to buy a new MotherBoard
GigaByte or Asus
with 2 DDR2 slots
at least 2 PCi slots
good processor Socket that I can put Pentium 4 Processor on it !!
PRO Level 3

Re: Want to buy a new Mother Board for my old Computer

Postby augie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:08 am

That would be a big waste of money!!! :confused Get a Core2 Duo or better. The P4 was a good proc in its day, but really man don't go backwards. It must be retired as there's not much you can do with it except to keep the rig as a backup. Sorry.

Edit : C2D acronym expanded for clarity - JabbaPapa
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby JabbaPapa » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:31 am

I'm guessing that you are on a budget, and are therefore looking for a budget solution.

If your current P4 is a socket 423 or 478, then it will be hard to find a new motherboard ; if it is a Socket LGA 775, then the hardware should be easily available. Just one point, 4 DDR slots would be better than 2 -- unless you have a micro-ATX box, and are therefore limited to a micro-ATX motherboard.

If you are absolutely in need of a new motherboard and have one of the older P4s for which no mobos are available, and already own your DDR2 and other basic components etc, then probably the best budget solution would be to get a AMD Athlon or entry-level Phenom ; the medium budget range AMD Athlon/Phenom X2 and Intel Core2 Duo DDR2-based dual core solutions are mostly comparable, although the triple-core Phenom II chips are quite attractive - the upgradeabilty of AMD-based hardware is better than the Intel equivalents, whilst the Intel chips tend to provide better clock rates ; of course, the upper budget range is massively dominated by Intel currently, mainly due to the high speed triple-channel DDR3 available with their Core i7 range of CPUs, DDR3 even being completely unusable with any current AMD-based motherboards.

I'm not sure why you wish to change your motherboard, but in any case you should try and aim for the best possible performance within your budgetary and technical constraints, which should probably involve changing both your motherboard and your CPU, at the very least...
PRO VETERAN

Postby mido.813 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:39 pm

yeah 4 ram is better than two places
and I want the LGA 775 cuz I can put the old and new processors on it
or if I will buy a one
we don't have here the i7 processor
we have in my district Core2Duo with 600 LE to 900 LE and if I want to buy IntelCore2Quad I must travel the capital (about 150 KM)

and there is no AMD office in Egypt so you can't find it here

am not sure I want to buy DDR3 so expensive and difficult to be found here

the range of the boards prices is from 280 LE to 480 LE when I asked in some shops near my home

I want a Giga Byte one
a gamer edition without a built in VGA card
4 slots DDR2
LGA 775 socket

I want just a numbers (the name ) of the GB boards
PRO Level 3

Postby JabbaPapa » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:54 pm

mido.813 wrote:we don't have here the i7 processor
we have in my district Core2Duo with 600 LE to 900 LE and if I want to buy IntelCore2Quad I must travel the capital (about 150 KM)

and there is no AMD office in Egypt so you can't find it here

[...]

I want just a numbers (the name ) of the GB boards

Given your extra information, I can only advise you to look around and see what is on offer, and make your choices according to actual availability.

We cannot predict which motherboards are available in your country, nor at the vendors near to your home, sorry :(
PRO VETERAN

Postby mido.813 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:36 pm

thnx
PRO Level 3

Return to Hardware and Customizing