A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Its that time again = new desktop!

Re: Its that time again = new desktop!

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:33 am

Grav!ty wrote:Somehow I think that's better for heat dissipation because the heat generated by the PSU is far greater than that of the CPU isn't it? Having that heat rise directly onto the GPU can't be a good idea.

Well BTX had the PSU placed on the front of the box as far away as possible from both CPU and GPU IIRC ;)

Nevertheless CPU in that layout will be much easier, and cheaper, to keep cool and stable. Good point about heat and the GPU though...
PRO VETERAN

Postby Sisco22 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:24 am

Well guys,
I bought the hardware today, just got back from Bama with it and put it together in about 20 mins and am loading Windows 7 x64 right now :)
I got the stock fan on it and it is amazingly quiet! I've never heard a fan so slient! :)
Looking forward to seeing what this thing can do!

-Adam
PRO Level 14

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:30 am

Ooh there's nothing quite like the scent of freshly unwrapped electronic components! ^*^

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Sisco22 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:32 am

Ohh yes! I love that smell! Well, i've got win7 loaded up and ready to install the drivers! This thing is loading very fast! just for the windows installation! I'm glad you guys talked me into the i7! THANKS! :notworthy ^*^
PRO Level 14

Postby mnemonicj » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:51 am

JabbaPapa wrote:Well BTX had the PSU placed on the front of the box as far away as possible from both CPU and GPU IIRC

The BTX I have has the PSU in the same place as an ATX case would, but my BTX motherboard is accessible from the right side of the case (instead of the left like the ATX). The processor is near the front of the case with a fan almost directly in front of it and the memory sticks physically run parallel to the flow of air rather than perpendicular to it like in ATX. What is really odd in a BTX form is that the boards in the PCI slots face up instead of down. To a normal computer user this wouldn't be so strange, but to someone that builds computers and is used to putting the cards in face down, it takes a second to get used it.
PRO Level 15

Postby mnemonicj » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:11 am

Sisco22 wrote:I got the stock fan on it and it is amazingly quiet! I've never heard a fan so slient!

Adam, Quick suggestion: don't use the thermal pad that comes with the stock heat sink. I am not sure if Intel ships those thermal pads with their CPUs anymore, but they are horrible and lead to overheating issues down the road. I recommend some thermal paste that looks like it is in a syringe. I had an Intel CPU overheat due to the thermal pad less than two years after I bought it. Luckily, with the help of others here I was able to quickly find the problem and fix it before it caused any real damage to the processor.

Have fun with the i7. I don't have one, yet, but I am sure you will like it.

Joe.
PRO Level 15

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:24 am

Very true Joe.

Sisco, if you can find Arctic 5 or Antec Formula 5, they're generally agreed to be the best :yesnod:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Sisco22 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:32 am

Yeah, i definitely never use the stock stuff that comes with it. I have some Artic Silver that i put on it. I haven't got to play with it all weekend b/c we went out of town and just now got home. Trying to figure out what i should install on it to test and see how it does. Any suggestions to test out the speed and see what it can do?
PRO Level 14

Postby mido.813 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:30 am

well I think we must know his country first
and the socket 775 is working 4 all old and new
I think it's not too bad

in my country u can buy Core2Duo processor with 900 L.E. (am from Egypt)

2x2GB is enough cuz the next operating sys (Windows Se7en) don't require too much
DDR2 is not bad

I don't know why the GigaByte MotherBoard is bad but am sure of the the Asus is the best
am wondering if u going to buy a new monitor
PRO Level 3

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:36 am

Are you going to be dual booting Adam? I'd suggest try whatever it is you use daily so that you've got some sort of a benchmark to check it out on, otherwise I think you need to use XP x64 or Vista x64 so that you can take full advantage of your hardware. Windows 7 x64 RTM gets released to TechNet and MSDN on Thursday or Friday so you may want to wait for that instead of Vista if you've got access :yesnod:

PROfessional Member

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware and Customizing