A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista BSOD

Re: Vista BSOD

Postby phileysmiley » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:06 am

Ahh...silly me. Yes, of course, it's SP1. :oops:

But that's why I was cornfuzzled -- the first thing I did after taking it out of the box and setting up AV, etc. was go to Windows Update. I also have it set to deliver automatic. I wonder why it wouldn't give me SP2? I even forced it to show me all the optional updates -- everything possible.

The second thing I do when I get a new computer or install Windows is head to msconfig. Especially with a new Toshiba laptop. I uncheck every sucker that I know isn't essential. :yesnod: Got that one covered.
Media Director

Postby JabbaPapa » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:37 am

PRO VETERAN

Postby phileysmiley » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:01 pm

I think Graham posted that earlier.

There's still nothing on that page to explain why people with Vista have not been given this through Update or even been given the option of downloading it through Update. I would never have known about it if you hadn't told me.
Media Director

Postby phileysmiley » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:30 am

Well I got a BSOD again. This time it was just as I began playing a song in Windows Media Player. It was another driver error. So SP2 didn't fix the problem.

This time I did have the "check for solution" option. Nothing came back.

Running disk check now.
Media Director

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:47 am

Dang you must be annoyed. What I'd suggest is that you create a restore DVD, then download all the drivers you need from independent sites if possible, for example the Intel Chipset drivers from Intel instead of the system manufacturer, and then run a clean install of Vista 64, assuming you have a DVD and compatible key of course. There's just so much guff that gets included in pre-installed systems that it's sometimes impossible to determine the cause of an error.

For warranty purposes you can always restore to factory condition with the restore DVD.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:52 am

aaah driver error :(

There have been long-standing issues with audio drivers in Vista, basically because the WDDM driver model was devised by graphics card manufacturers, and the audio hardware manufacturers were only consulted AFTER the model was basically finalised :(

Many audio drivers therefore function with less-than-ideal programming, because the audio hardware manufacturers were basically unable to allocate the necessary personnel resources to adhere properly to WDDM.

Having said that, they _have_ continued to work on their drivers. :)

I would advise you to engage in some internet searching, and download _several_ audio drivers for your hardware ; and then basically test them out in whichever order seems logical to you, and try to find a stable one.

---

Of course, it might be just pure coincidence that the BSOD occurred during playback, and it might have some other drivers-related cause.

And I am still of the opinion that a clean install of Windows instead of some factory one would provide better results ; although waiting for your W7 RTM availability before doing this could also be a good idea ...
PRO VETERAN

Postby phileysmiley » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:01 am

I actually never use Windows Media Player for anything except for wma/wmv protected files that cannot be played on anything else. I'm not even sure why it popped up when I clicked to play this song. iTunes is my default audio player and the file was not a wma, I don't think. I can't go back to look now because disk check is running.

I use iTunes pretty much exclusively for audio files, mainly because I do buy a lot of product off iTunes and sync with my iPod. So far iTunes has performed pretty well on Vista 64, better than it did on my old XP laptop.

I could do a clean install using a Vista 64 disk I have from MSDN but I'd hate to redo all the work I've put in the last 2 weeks getting this whipped into shape.
Media Director

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:13 am

phileysmiley wrote:I actually never use Windows Media Player for anything except for wma/wmv protected files that cannot be played on anything else. I'm not even sure why it popped up when I clicked to play this song. iTunes is my default audio player and the file was not a wma, I don't think. I can't go back to look now because disk check is running.

If this is a _driver_ error as your error messages would suggest, then it is probably immaterial which software you are using :(

phileysmiley wrote:I could do a clean install using a Vista 64 disk I have from MSDN but I'd hate to redo all the work I've put in the last 2 weeks getting this whipped into shape.

Sorry to say this, but if you are getting repeated hardware-config-related BSOD then it just ISN'T in shape :(

--

If you were one of my paying clients I would suggest one of two things :

1) Stick with this until you get your W7 bits, and then clean install Windows

2) Backup, format, clean install Vista

The option I would typically recommend is option 1)

There *is* an option 3) which would be to use a hack to install a trial copy of the W7 edition that you are entitled to with your free upgrade programme, and ensure that you will be able to renew the trial period every 25-29 days or so and therefore cover the period until you get your RTM bits and product key -- but I would only suggest this idea if you were currently willing to take the Windows enthusiast option ; and I kind of suspect that you would actually prefer some kind of my-computer-just-works option ;)
PRO VETERAN

Postby phileysmiley » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:22 am

JabbaPapa wrote:If this is a _driver_ error as your error messages would suggest, then it is probably immaterial which software you are using :(

Ugh sorry. I misread your suggestion as "search for audio players." :oops:

Sorry to say this, but if you are getting repeated hardware-config-related BSOD then it just ISN'T in shape :(

Well it's only been 4 so far.

If you were one of my paying clients I would suggest one of two things :

1) Stick with this until you get your W7 bits, and then clean install Windows

2) Backup, format, clean install Vista

The option I would typically recommend is option 1)

There *is* an option 3) which would be to use a hack to install a trial copy of the W7 edition that you are entitled to with your free upgrade programme, and ensure that you will be able to renew the trial period every 25-29 days or so and therefore cover the period until you get your RTM bits and product key -- but I would only suggest this idea if you were currently willing to take the Windows enthusiast option ; and I kind of suspect that you would actually prefer some kind of my-computer-just-works option ;)

My main concern right now is that I am going away in just over a month to a film festival which I will be at for 9 days, and I will be relying heavily on my laptop and all the programs I've installed on it and it settings, tweaks, etc. I've made. That's one of the reasons I bought it at this time and have been working on it.

The "my computer just works" option isn't my normal choice -- I have been a beta tester for over 5 years, after all -- but unless I get more frequent BSODs I'd rather wait until I return from the trip before doing anything more radical.

I'd clean install W7 in a heartbeat if I didn't have this work coming up.
Media Director

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:33 am

Then follow Graham's advice :yesnod:

In this case, the cleaner option will be inherently more advisable than the perfectionist one ... :roleeyes
PRO VETERAN

PreviousNext

Return to General Windows Support