A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Installing Windows 7 in a dual boot with Vista

Installing Windows 7 in a dual boot with Vista

Postby spydermark » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:51 pm

Hello,

I have vista ult 32 installed currently, and would like to install window 7 RC 64bit for testing with a dual boot. I purchased vistabootpro and was looking for advice on how this would be accomplisted when vista already installed and windows 7 would be an alt boot. I only seen info when xp is pre installed and vista would be added. just need a little help in the right direction.

once this has been done, alittle further down the line i would also like to add a copy of xp.

Thanks much

Mark
PRO New Member

Re: vistabootpro questions

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:41 pm

Just a few questions first Mark. Are you wanting to install Windows 7 to a partition on the same hard drive or to a new hard drive? Did your system come with Vista pre-installed?

Once you respond I'm going to move your thread to the Windows 7 Chat & Support forum and change your topic title as this is not primarily about VistaBootPRO.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Re: vistabootpro questions

Postby spydermark » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:53 pm

sorry for the delay, i would perfer to load on a sep drive. I loaded this unit with the vista ult. 32bit retail version. its a watercooled overclocked quad which i built in 07.
PRO New Member

Re: Installing Windows 7 in a dual boot with Vista

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:29 am

Here's the procedure I suggest you follow Mark. Plug in the new HDD and boot to Windows Vista as usual. Make sure the drive is properly identified by Vista and then reboot to Vista again. Make sure that your Vista drive remains your first boot HDD in the BIOS and keep that HDD order for installation so that the drive tagged (System) in Disk Management remains the same no matter which installation you will boot to.

Once you've gone through those steps, format the new HDD from within Vista and give it a name like say W7 so that you can easily identify it from Windows 7 setup during install. Reboot after the format and again make sure your drives are properly ID'd and the boot order remains the same. A bit of a rigmarole but it's worth avoiding the potential hassles.

Now you can boot to your Windows 7 install DVD and when asked if you want to upgrade or clean install, select clean install (not sure of the exact wording but you'll be able to tell what I mean from that screen). Then select your Windows 7 HDD and continue with installation.

You should have no issues at all with a dual boot provided you keep both drives plugged in and provided you do keep your Vista drive as the first boot HDD in the BIOS. If all goes well you will only need VistaBootPRO to make some minor changes like the default OS if you want that to remain Vista and renaming of your boot menu entries.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby spydermark » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:40 pm

Much appricated Grav!ty. At what point should I load vistabootpro?
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:47 pm

spydermark wrote:Much appricated Grav!ty. At what point should I load vistabootpro?

After installation if you want to make any changes to the boot menu :yesnod:

PROfessional Member

Return to General Windows Support