A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Its that time again = new desktop!

Re: Its that time again = new desktop!

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:40 pm

Hyper-threading technology discussion split and moved HERE

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:05 pm

Here's a very nice looking i7 build with excellent cable management and cooling, depending on what one needs. This particular person built two of these for the customer. This is one thing I have always screwed up on so far, properly chosen components but in a case that can handle it, I always screwed up on the case/PSU.:( This is about what I'd buy when the price becomes right, this will be a heavily used rig on my part. :yesnod:

Intel I7 920 @ 3.51 Ghz
Geforce GTX-285
SB XFI Titanium Fatal1ty
Corsair 6GB triple kit
Corsair 850W
Asus lion square
Antec 300 Case
1TB WDC Black
Sony 5x Blu-Ray

Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby JabbaPapa » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:43 pm

augie wrote:Image

THAT is a BEAUTIFUL case -- and it appears to incorporate some of the best features of the failed BTX series of form factors, and in particular a more rational placement of hardware elements for better air flow, cooling, and energy savings. Whilst still being ATX. I love it !!! :flirt :flirt :flirt :yahoo:
PRO VETERAN

Postby Sisco22 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:33 am

That is a very clean desktop! Im jealous! hahaha!

Well, i decided to go with the Core i7. I am picking up my parts Friday. Going with a gigabyte motherboard and the Core i7 920, and 6 gigs triple channel. Still deciding on the video card, i was kinda leaning toward the Nvidia 260, but am still looking at the ATI cards simply for the fact of DDR5. I'm going to purchase 4x 1TB drives and do a raid 10 on them. Loading Windows 7 x64. I might go ahead and bump the ram up to 12gig. Not sure on that part either.
PRO Level 14

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:02 am

Great decision and thats one heck of a system you're building Sisco ^*^

I've got an aging Antec case, much lower cost than that one in the pic posted by augie, with pretty much the same layout except that the power supply is positioned at the top of the case. Somehow I think that's better for heat dissipation because the heat generated by the PSU is far greater than that of the CPU isn't it? Having that heat rise directly onto the GPU can't be a good idea.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Sisco22 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:12 am

Grav!ty wrote:Great decision and thats one heck of a system you're building Sisco ^*^

I've got an aging Antec case, much lower cost than that one in the pic posted by augie, with pretty much the same layout except that the power supply is positioned at the top of the case. Somehow I think that's better for heat dissipation because the heat generated by the PSU is far greater than that of the CPU isn't it? Having that heat rise directly onto the GPU can't be a good idea.

Thanks Grav!ty! I'm excited about getting it built! Can't wait to see what it can do. I'm still debating on the video card. I've never much liked ATI, but DDR5 is hard to pass up. I know you mentioned before i should get one. I might hold off on that until a little later. I am building an identical system for a buddy of mine at work, so i'll see how his cards do. Then decide which way im gonna go. My pocket is burning!!! HAHAHA! :devil
PRO Level 14

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:23 am

Yeah, it's been many years since I used an ATi card. The last time was when an ATi GPU was totally incompatible with my Core Duo CPU about three years ago. After weeks of battling with a number of different motherboards thanks to the wholesalers interest in my problem, I changed to nVidia. I believe those issues I encountered were fixed though. There's probably not much in performance gains using GDDR5 though considering the massive factory overclocking of the video RAM the manufacturers now seem to use almost as standard practice.

PROfessional Member

Postby Sisco22 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:27 am

Agreed. I will probably stick with Nvidia, just because they haven't let me down yet :) I will probably start off with the 260 at first and then upgrade later. I've got another baby on the way, so i can't spend too much on this stuff...specially since my wife is due in 9 weeks :) But i am going to splurge and get 2x 24" LCD's to go with it! That is a must!
PRO Level 14

Postby mnemonicj » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:20 am

Grav!ty wrote:Great decision and thats one heck of a system you're building Sisco ^*^

Yeah, I agree Graham. The PSU does create the most heat and having it at the bottom of the case is odd. But, I assume that the 120mm fan in the PSU is blowing air into the heat sink and another fan is blowing the heat out of the back. Hopefully, that will keep most of the heat from the PSU from reaching other components.

What ever happened to BTX anyway? I bought a Dell Dimension 9200 that has a BTX layout a couple years ago, but you don't see much for the BTX layout anymore.
PRO Level 15

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:36 am

Oh yeah, you're right Joe, the top PSU fan will suck air :yesnod:

It's been a while since I looked at new boxes but did about 18 months ago and the BTX cases available then were really nice and spacious but much more expensive. I honestly don't even know if there are consumer/desktop BTX motherboards around. I wonder if the lower power consumption of recent CPU's put a damper on BTX?

PROfessional Member

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware and Customizing