A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

dead something

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

dead something

Postby Xstream » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:31 pm

My daughters pc ( winXP, 2.8 Ghz, 756 mb RAM ) was running great, but kept having problems loading certain webpages, then I noticed that the date showed it to be 2003. I reset it. Next day, it's 2003 again, so I figured the CMOS battery was dead and replaced it. Things are fine for a week, then the pc froze up one day and I had to hold the power button down to turn it off.
When I turned it back on, it did not load anything, just a black screen. I tried to repair it with the recovery console and it did not show windows as being installed at all. So, I did a complete reformat/reinstall. It took 3 days. It was that slow!
Windows loaded and everything was absolutely crawling! You click to open something, and it would take 2 or 3 minutes for it to open. You click a link on a web page, it would take 3 or 4 minutes to load ( with a 10 mbps connection! ) Something is wrong. I tried 3 other hard drives with the same results. I removed each stick of RAM seperately, and nothing would load, it would just say "system RAM has changed".
So I put the original Hard drive and RAM back in, and now the bios won't detect the Hard drive or the DVD -ROM drive!
Is it dead? All or part?
suggestions?
PROfessional Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems