A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Scan for file corruption & errors + Disk wiping

Scan for file corruption & errors + Disk wiping

Postby masterton » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:32 pm

1. Hello. I would like to see if all data files in my computer are still healthy, i.e. they haven't been damaged or corrupt yet. Manually opening one by one is not an option. There are literally millions of files. :(

I knew the System File Checker but it is only for Windows system files. I want to check the health of all my data files. Disk checking, as far as I know, has nothing to do with file corruption. The drive can be healthy even if some files have been corrupt unrelated to drive failure reasons.

I tried to search on the net but couldn't find any.

Any method or workaround which could check for file corruption & errors, even if the check is not comprehensive or faultless, is much appreciated. Thank you.

2. I would like to ask whether there is any good program which could:
(A) *really* wipe specific files and folders irrecoverably
(B) *really* wipe the data of whole drive/disk irrecoverably
I hear that some programs claim it does but actually not (it's still there when you use the recovery program) so I want something which is really working, be it free or paid. Thank you. :)
Last edited by masterton on Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PRO Level 2

Re: Scan for file corruption & errors + Disk wiping

Postby augie » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:54 pm

Hi, well for #1 you can verify the integrity of your 'system files' by running 'sfc /scannow', you will need your install disc. If you mean all your data files then I have no idea.

#2A: Eraser 6.0 After deleting what you wanted you can always do a defragment.

#2B: Active KillDisk 5.0 uses Department of Defense seven pass zeroing algorithms. Even the men in black can't grab any data from this.;)

Both the above are freeware.:)
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:00 pm

To wipe your disks try DBAN...it comes highly recommended: is-writing-over-a-hard-drive-7-times-enough-t109028.html#p789204

To check your system files see if the File Signature Verification Utility (Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information>Tools) does what you want. It calls for your XP CD and replaces any files that are not found to comply with the digital signature. You can also try System File Checker by typing sfc /scannow into the Run dialog box and press Enter.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby masterton » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:18 pm

Thanks for the recommendations.
Yes, I want to check all data files. But it seems nothing could be done except manually opening one by one myself.
PRO Level 2

Return to General Windows Support