A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Anyone good with MS Access?

Anyone good with MS Access?

Postby ar1stotle » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:27 pm

Hey, quick question. Trying to set up a database in access. This DB has 3 tables: Customers, Items, and Orders. Customers has all customer information like name/address, etc. Items has possible items to order. The orders table has 4 fields I want to work with (there are more but only 3 are important for this question): Customer, Items, Quantity, and Order Total. Basically, I want to be able to enter a quantity in the quantity field, select whichever items the customer wants, and have the total show up in the order total field. The price of each item is listed in the Items table. Anyone know how to do this or have a quick way of explaining it? I usually just wing stuff like this or find reference manuals but I'm kind of stressing on time at the moment, and everything works nicely except for that Total field which would be very convenient to get working.
TIA!
PRO BRONZE

Re: Anyone good with MS Access?

Postby NT50 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:58 pm

You will have to setup several databases for this and do something like a query.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby ar1stotle » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:10 am

Well, 1 database should be fine, I've already got multiple tables. So I guess what I was specifically asking was how I'd create that query. Funny how it seems like it'd be really simply in something like Excel lol.
PRO BRONZE

Postby imnuts » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:10 am

You could set this all up in one database, but NT50 is right that you're going to have a much easier time setting it up in 3 different databases, 2 at the very least. It's been a long time since I did any work with Access, but it seems like you want to store to much in one place. Not sure if this is going to be a production based thing or just something like a test, but either way, 2-3 databases would likely be easier to work with. If you were going with 3, I'd set them up as:
DB Name: Customer --> Fields: First Name, Last Name, Address, City, State, & Zip
DB Name: Items --> Fields: Item Description, SKU and/or UPC, Price, Quantity Available
DB Name: Orders --> Fields: Customer, Item(s), Quantity(ies), Total Cost

With only 2 databases, I'd set it up with the orders being stored in the customer database, just add the other 3 fields in with it. If you try to merge the Items and Customer data though, things would get really messy. With 2 seperate systems, it should stay fairly neat and in order and should hopefully maintain some performance and be easy to manage.
PRO SUPREME

Return to General Windows Support