A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Compacting Commands

Compacting Commands

Postby gries818 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:07 pm

Does anyone know of a way to force commands to execute on a single line?

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Re: Compacting Commands

Postby imnuts » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:06 am

Have you tried putting either one or two '&' symbols between the commands? I think you need two of them, and just combine all the commands onto one line and it will run each in order. I have had the problem sometimes though where it won't output stuff from successive commands, so if you put a bunch of stuff on one line, you'll only get the output from the first. Haven't used linux/unix in a while though, so that could have been fixed since I've last seen it.
PRO SUPREME

Re: Compacting Commands

Postby gries818 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:06 pm

imnuts wrote:Have you tried putting either one or two '&' symbols between the commands? I think you need two of them, and just combine all the commands onto one line and it will run each in order. I have had the problem sometimes though where it won't output stuff from successive commands, so if you put a bunch of stuff on one line, you'll only get the output from the first. Haven't used linux/unix in a while though, so that could have been fixed since I've last seen it.

Yeah... that is kind of the problem I'm having. The first command has its own prompt and I want the successive commands to execute there.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Return to Other Operating Systems