A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Weird Sound

Weird Sound

Postby Start Something » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:28 pm

Hi, i haven't been on this site in a long time!!! my life has been busy in the last couple of years and i haven't really had a chance to come on here...

anyways...

I bought a 700 dollar HP pavilion dv5-1235dx from best buy so that i could use it for school ( i think if you go on to best buy's site, you can find it in there. I don't know if it's still 700 dollars)

it has 4 gb ram, Intel Core 2 duo t6400 (2.00 GHz) processor, Intel 4500mhd integrated graphics.... if you need to know more just let me know...

But i wanted to know if something was normal...

Sometimes i play games like Sims 2 and simcity 4 (nothing that's ever really that demanding, as the graphics card probably wouldn't be able to do much better than that) and i've noticed that once i am actually playing, there is a faint clicking sound coming from the left palm rest area. It is a constant clicking sound. and if i scroll around on the game it temporarily gets louder. It's done this since i bought the computer but it performs fine and i've never had any problems as far as the game being slow or shutting down or anything. Also, i recently purchased a tv card so that i could watch tv on it and i noticed that it makes this same noise but even louder when i watch tv. I just was wondering if this was normal or if anyone could share their thoughts about this? my old desktop never made that noise but i guess i wasn't that close to it so maybe it did and i never noticed? i looked online and i couldn't find any info about it. Thanks!
My Desktop: Intel Pentium D 930 3.00 GHz | 2.00 GB DDR2 SDRAM | ECS 945G-M3 Motherboard | MSI Nvidia GeForce 7300GT Video Card | 250GB SATA2 Hard Drive | Windows Vista Ultimate

My School Laptop: HP Pavilion dv5-1235dx | Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 2.00 GHz | 4.00 GB RAM | Intel Graphics Accelerator 4500MHD | 320 GB HDD | Windows Vista Home Premium (Soon to be Windows 7 Home Premium)
PRO Level 8

Re: Weird Sound

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:38 am

Could the clicking be from the hard drive or the DVD drive?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Start Something » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:07 am

It's not the DVD drive --- because it also makes this sound when watching tv on windows media center either from my recorded shows or from live tv when there is no dvd or cd present in the drive

It don't believe it's the hard drive --- because the clicking only happens during gaming and tv watching... it also happens (very faint, quiet) when i scroll up or down on web sites. (to hear it when you scroll though, you have to pretty much put your ear up to the palm rest).

I also downloaded the latest driver from intel earlier this afternoon and the sound seems to be a lot quieter now, but you can still hear it.

It's not the worst to deal with but i hope it's normal and not causing damage to other hardware or having shorter life down the road.
My Desktop: Intel Pentium D 930 3.00 GHz | 2.00 GB DDR2 SDRAM | ECS 945G-M3 Motherboard | MSI Nvidia GeForce 7300GT Video Card | 250GB SATA2 Hard Drive | Windows Vista Ultimate

My School Laptop: HP Pavilion dv5-1235dx | Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 2.00 GHz | 4.00 GB RAM | Intel Graphics Accelerator 4500MHD | 320 GB HDD | Windows Vista Home Premium (Soon to be Windows 7 Home Premium)
PRO Level 8

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:09 am

I can't figure what it could be. If Best Buy have an outlet near you maybe it's a good idea to take the system to them to check out.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby NT50 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:44 pm

Uhhhhh

Get it back to best buy. More than likely it is the "Green" hard drive. I had one and that thing clicked all the time coming in and out of power saver mode. I got rid of it.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby Start Something » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:19 pm

Thanks for your suggestions

it's hard for me to believe that it's the hard drive because it doesn't sound like that kind of noise. And it doesn't do it any other time other than when there is something going on on the screen that looks like it would take a good amount of graphics power...

but i guess i'm just going to take it to geek squad and ask them if something needs to be repaired. i have a warranty so i might as well. Whatever it is i'm sure i'll get it figured out.

PRO Level 8

Postby ar1stotle » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:20 pm

Either that, or just a replacement. That sounds really strange. At least it's new, so you should be able to get one without much of a hassle.
PRO BRONZE

Postby Start Something » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:50 am

actually i'm out of the 14 day return period. But it's not that big of a deal. Several people told me that it's just a minor defect and that it shouldn't cause a problem. It doesn't bother me a lot. Plus a repair would take 2 weeks. :no

PRO Level 8

Postby nightfire » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:31 pm

Hey if there is a defect warranty at all, get it done, cause these things out of warranty are such a pain and companies love to overcharge for that stuff to be done.

Def sounds like HD though, the green HD light should be blinking occasionally while this is happening, that way you know that your hard drive is being accessed, mine just sits and blinks every couple of seconds even if I'm not doing anything, it's just windows
(Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Mobo)(AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+)(3.5 GB high speed ram?)(EVGA Geforce 8800GTS)(500 GB and 1 TB Sata Drives)super high speed, 3COM 56k Modem!!
PRO Level 7

Return to Hardware and Customizing