A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

VistaBootPRO don't detect my XP

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

VistaBootPRO don't detect my XP

Postby fabofrank » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:49 pm

Hi!

Not sure what info you need from me to help but basically bought a new hp 6930p that comes with Vista Biz 32 bit installed. Wanted to install XP as well since a lot of my music software can only run on XP.

So I followed the steps listed dilligently on

install-windows-xp-in-a-dual-boot-with-pre-installed-vista-t88231.html

until the very last step after I click "Diagnostics", It only detects my Vista in the "box". (I am in XP environment)

So when I reboot, it doesn't even take me to the "select OS screen" but goes direct into Vista.

I'm thus left with XP installed in my D: but unable to boot into it.

I've already used up 3 of my 5 permited license attempts to repeat the steps but each time still the same result.

Pls let me know what I'm doing wrong or not doing pls.... been at this for the past 6 hours....

Thank you very much!
PRO New Member

Re: VistaBootPRO don't detect my XP

Postby yeshuas » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:02 pm

You may need to create a floppy disk with SAT-A drivers for your MB to install XP, that could be the problem, can you see the XP files on the partition you installed XP to?

Check to see if these 3 files are on your Boot/System partition, NTDETECT, boot.ini, ntldr it won't hurt if they are on both partition, and they need to be in the root directory.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby fabofrank » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:28 am

Thanks a lot! Forgot to mention that could it be due to the fact that I'm using a SSD instead of SATA harddisk? I can see the XP files in the partitioned drive from Vista.

Sorry but I also can't seem to find the 3 files in Vista. Did the "unticked hidden files" thingy as instructed in your other threads but still can't locate it. Should it be in the root directory? The only file i see (in vista) is a bootstat.dat. I go into the system32 folder and find bootcfg, bootok, bootvrfy... and that's it. none of the 3 files mentioned.
It doesn't help that I'm totally new to all these computer lingo and DIYs.... Thanks again guys... still tryin.... :no
Last edited by fabofrank on Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
PRO New Member

Postby shreader » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:33 am

You need to look in the XP partition for the files to make sure they are there :yesnod:
Software Director

Postby fabofrank » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:43 am

Thanks.. there are even less files on the XP partition and no luck there too. Could it be I'm looking at the wrong place? Used the search function at the root directory but still could not find them.... where are you!
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:08 am

Did you uncheck "hide protected operating system files"?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby fabofrank » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:13 am

Yes I did, followed the guide given on the other threads....
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:20 am

So at the moment you're not able to even boot into XP? What files do you see on the XP drive? Please post a screenshot of the Windows Explorer or Computer view of the XP drive.

See the link below if you're unsure how to do that:

how-to-post-an-image-at-pronetworks-t90875.html

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby fabofrank » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:07 am

Hi, thanks, this is the link to what I see on my xp root directory:

PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:13 am

What's the "under the hood" bit? Is it a folder? Otherwise it looks about right.

That long unusual filename makes me think that XP didn't complete installation though? How did the Intel folder get there if you weren't able to boot into XP? It usually is created when one installs drivers...

PROfessional Member

Next

Return to PRO Software