A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Difference between DDR3 and GDDR3

Difference between DDR3 and GDDR3

Postby ChristianM » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:51 am

hello everyone recently I have upgraded my computer and now I gonna buy a xfx 9 series graphic card but i'm confused about ddr3 and gddr3. what is it all about? what's the difference? can anyone please explain about that and please suggest any 9 series (only XFX) graphic card. thanks you.
PRO Level 2

Re: Difference between DDR3 and GDDR3

Postby leo27 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:03 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR3 trust wikipedia has the answer, basically it is a lower power lower heat version of memory based on the DDR2 specification. GDDR3 also features higher bandwidth than traditional DDR2.

so the difference between GDDR3 and DDR3 is that GDDR3 is memory desgined for use in graphics cards and is based on DDR2. DDR3 is the sucessor to DDR2 and is used for computer ram. DDR3 is used with the new intel i7 processors and the AMD Phenom II processors. typically DDR3 has much higher frequencies (around 2000mhz are avaliable now) slightly higher timings of around 7-7-7-20 compared to DDR2's timings of 4-4-4-12. also DDR3 has much higher bandwidth than DDR2 however the increase in actual real world performance is realtively small.

without knowing what your using the computer for its a bit hard to recommend a card. however if it must be a 9 series a 9800gt seems to offer good value for money. but i stress that more information will help us recommend a grahpics card
PRO Level 4

Postby ChristianM » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:33 am

thanks for the reply. actually i'm not a real gamer but i do play games like call of duty 5 and gonna play fuel etc. and that's what i need a graphic card for. how about 9600 GSO which i can afford. other thing that i forgot to mention was i wanted to know about Graphic cards not RAMs. are DDR3 and GDDR3 both the same or is there any difference between them? thanks again. and yes the above link is not working.
PRO Level 2

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:02 pm

Well IIRC GDDR3 basically uses DDR3 chips, but as GDDRx is always released earlier than DDRx it tends to have lower specifications than actual RAM sticks with the same x.

To further clarify and/or confuse, DDR2 and DDR3 are actually quite similar to each other ...
PRO VETERAN

Return to Hardware and Customizing