A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Easily change page content?

Easily change page content?

Postby ar1stotle » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:37 pm

OK, I've got a customer who wants a website that for the most part, she can maintain by changing things on the homepage for news, special events, and new products that they have in stock. Adobe's InContext Editing looks like a really good solution, as I don't have to teach her any code and it's pretty nice to use. But eventually it's going to be a paid service. Anyone know of any easy to use, free solutions for something like this?
PRO BRONZE

Re: Easily change page content?

Postby kanaloa » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:38 pm

I've used EE on sites ranging from work to PRO to HG, and even did one for my brother so he could publish updates without using any code. You might also consider Drupal or Mambo.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby ar1stotle » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:46 pm

Yea, I'm not really looking for a whole CMS though. For the most part, it seems like it's going to be a static site, so the fewer things the user has to go through to change stuff the better (and it's easier to customize the site when it's built from scratch, a CMS is a little too big for me). With ICE, they just press CTRL+E, put in a username and password, and can edit the page right there. Just didn't know if there was possibly something else quite that simple. I could just create a database and make it dynamic, but I can't offer quite as much customization then (rather, don't know how to yet).
PRO BRONZE

Postby kanaloa » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:41 am

You could set up their site using Dreamweaver, lock down certain pieces of the page (create 'editable regions'), and then just give them Contribute. That way you could control what parts of the page they could change - except to you or anyone else with Dreamweaver.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby ar1stotle » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:06 pm

Is there some cheaper end-user version of contribute, or would they have to buy the $200 copy?
PRO BRONZE

Postby kanaloa » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:58 pm

ar1stotle wrote:Is there some cheaper end-user version of contribute, or would they have to buy the $200 copy?

They'd probably be better off buying one of the Suite packages - maybe the Web Suite. It would have all the tools one might potentially need for web stuff. Even if they don't think they'd use some of the software, they might be surprised. Photoshop can especially come in handy of course.
President

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts