A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Welcome to our new Folding@Home Home

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

Re: Welcome to our new Folding@Home Home

Postby augie » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:27 pm

BILLMCC66 wrote:I turned the firewall off on the dedicated folding PC (GTX260) but nothing changed.

I am prepared to do the silliest thing now Dan, i have tried everything else.

Edit I am basically the same setup as when i was producing 18000 ppd.

Hang in there Bill, Stanford has been having server problems again.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:32 pm

It looks as though i am getting closer to finding the problem.
I turned off all security (don't try this at home) Antivirus/firewall everything on the dedicated PC but i left the internet connection on without doing any surfing just so it could contact Stanford.
So far i have not picked up any malware but the PC does seem to be communicating with the server.
I have been using AVG 8.5 free but i will now have to look at something else as it would appear that it is the culprit Image

The second PC that is still got AV working does not seem to be sending results although it looks as though Stanford is recording a completed WU without getting any other info?
4 WUs for 841 points.
Attachments
CaptureWiz005.png
CaptureWiz005.png (13.16 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
STILL LEARNING

LOGIC CAN GET YOU FROM A TO B BUT IMAGINATION CAN GET YOU ANYWHERE
PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:44 pm

The second PC that is still got AV working does not seem to be sending results although it looks as though Stanford is recording a completed WU without getting any other info?
4 WUs for 841 points.

The info is getting through but you still have multiple Unstable_machine errors. There are no GPU WUs that are less than 353 points. I had a problem with PCTools firewall when I reconfigured and when I checked the logs, there was one one process that didn't ask for permission which screwed everything up. After I enabled it everything worked like a charm. maybe you have something similar.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:10 pm

OK i have disabled the Resident shield to see if that is the culprit.
I will report after the next points update.
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:06 am

OK, they finally credited us for lost WU's during the server upgrade! ^*^

Community Director

Postby augie » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:27 pm

Well, first time I shut down GPU folding ever but it's just not worth the cost to fold and then pay for the heat extraction too! Going up to 86 this PM and with a heat index of 97. Time to hit the lake. :yesnod:

Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:35 pm

Getting into my territory eh Augie frying eggs on the GPU ?
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:55 pm

BILLMCC66 wrote:Getting into my territory eh Augie frying eggs on the GPU ?

Hehehe, not really but pretty close though.;) Man, 10 min after I shut everything down it was almost cold in the room before the A/C shut down. Now, I'm just enjoying a couple of hours in the sun before it gets too hot and humid! :cool: :drink:

I'm really glad the gf lets me use the lappy now as she always thought that I'd do something bad to it, heard me swear enough times when I screwed something up on my rigs. :whistle She trusts me now after having taken her nursing colleagues advice a couple of times and me getting it working again! :roleeyes :lol:

Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:06 am

I am not producing anywhere near my earlier folding but i am putting points on the board.
This evening i will have to shut down for about 36 hours because i have to spend the night in hospital and early tommorrow morning (monday) they are going to remove the screws from my shoulder and do a small operation on my left hand to straighten my fingers but if all is OK i will be home tommorrow night.
My posts will inevitably be short for a while as my abismal typing skills will get worse.
So untill i get back.

Bill
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:05 pm

Great Bill! ^*^ Getting the hardware out made me feel a lot better, I guess it was psychological but my leg never hurt as much when it was cold and damp. Anyways, have a great late supper like a beautiful rib-eye steak so that the hunger pangs are not too bad in the AM. See ya later.:)

Community Director

PreviousNext

Return to Distributed Computing